How will Canon's Cinema EOS affect their video camera line? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How will Canon's Cinema EOS affect their video camera line?

I understand the XF300 is one heck of a camera, even at $6500, but it simply seems to be a high price point when there are other cameras with comparable specs at even lower prices. Do you think the new Cinema EOS line will drop the price of the video cameras Canon sells all around, or will it most likely stay at the same price since it is selling to a different market?
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How will Canon's Cinema EOS affect their video camera line?

I imagine that as long as it remains on the BBC's and other broadcasters' lists of approved HD cameras, and none of the competition (e.g. Sony and Panasonic) get new models on the lists to provide competition, Canon will continue to milk the market.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Agreed, I don't see the XF series prices changing anytime soon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That's what I thought =(

Although Sony does have the PMW100 coming out, but I don't see a pricing for that at the moment either
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Trustee

It's still their flagship "video camera" so until they release an XF500 (dreaming!) it will command a premium. Believe me, we all whined like little babies at the initial price which was insane until we saw the images!

And after a couple years of ownership I still use it as my "A-cam" as it's more than adequate for what I do which does include a couple of TV shows airing in HD. Until they release a cinema cam that can auto focus with face detect as accurately and quickly, it shall remain in my rig. Invaluable feature for jib/crane and glidecam use.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here I am, still whining haha.

How would you say the XF300 matches with your DSLRs? I had an HMC150 but couldn't get it to match well with my Canon which is why I sold it and am saving for an XF300 now. Are they fairly easy to match without spending a massive amount of time in post?
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Trustee

Ha! I moved from an hmc150 to the xf300 too!

As far as matching XF with the DSLRs, the XF is much closer to "reality" out of the box. I have tweaked the colors a bit but mostly to allow for better grading. The DSLRs in their stock setting are waaaaayy oversaturated and contrasty in comparison. I use the Philip Bloom settings which are listed somewhere on this forum. Essentially dumbing down the sharpness, contrast and color to make it closer to the XF. The 7D was easier to get close than my friends 5DmkII as there is a slightly different look with the full frame sensor. I have noticed a similar look to the mkIIi so I may be tweaking that soon. Haven't had a multicam shoot with it yet.

No matter what setting you use in camera, you will spend time in post. They are too different in the way they function to make it a simple "set some numbers and go" scenario. Its not terribly difficult though and once you start seeing a consistent pattern to what you do in post, you can further tweak the camera settings.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Jonathan...

They're like apples and oranges.

The XF300 uses a better codec, and is a video camera.
Image quality, codec, and less degredation in post is the main reason...
The only down side is the 1/3 sensor...

Don't forget, with DSLR's, the video output skips several pixels down upon output..

If you wanted true HD photo video quality, you'd need to step up to RED...

But my point being, they're two different applications, and video quality can't be judged on shallow D.O.F. and looks.
Hours of footage from a nature scene in post, or greens screen sampling would probably force you to drop the DSLR's.
Wedding highlights and demo reels might force you to drop the XF300...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #9
Trustee

Just thinking aloud, the successor of the XF300/305 with 1/3" sensors may be the XF500/505 with 0.5" sensors. Now from a naming point of view that makes sense, but from an image, noise and low light sensitivity point of view, it would be fabulous. Canon, are you listening?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I find the only thing I want for in the XF300 is more light sensitivity. If Canon could come up with a firmware upgrade that gave the camera an extra stop of light gathering it would be perfect. Happy to pay for the upgrade as well.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I think on some forum (either here or Vimeo) someone had noticed that using a present called "mojo" he was able to gain an extra few stops of light in 720p mode over 1080p. I think his name is Brian Weed
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I find the only thing I want for in the XF300 is more light sensitivity. If Canon could come up with a firmware upgrade that gave the camera an extra stop of light gathering it would be perfect. Happy to pay for the upgrade as well.
It's called Neat for video!
Or Magic Bullet DeNoiser for AE
They work incredibly well on the XF footage. :)
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Too time consuming to do it in post. I noticed the new JVC cameras state F11 @ 2000 lux. That is where I would like to see the XF300. (I mostly use 720p60 mode as well).
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Here's the video I was referring to earlier (I was at work and didn't have time to find it)
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #15
Major Player

I agree w/Robert & Tim's thoughts. I still find the lack of true audio on dslr'sand the much better control of the camera means the xf305 is the a cam. (I also upgraded from hmc150, which was a nice camera). It's just a professional tool designed to do the job.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders