XF300 Hours meter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1

XF300 Hours meter

Is it possible somebody could sell an XF300 as new by resetting the hours meter, bit like winding back the odometer on a car to get more monay? Please advise thank you.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XF300 Hours meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
Please advise thank you.
New implies a full factory warranty. Without the warranty a solid state camera with 0 hours is possibly worse than one with 100 hours. Solid state electronics tend either to fail immediately or last nearly forever. Therefore a new camera must include a factory warranty to be better than a used camera that was well taken care of.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #3

I'm refering to a 'secondhand' camera, not brand new. When a seller says its new but may have been reset? Can anyone explain?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
When a seller says its new but may have been reset? Can anyone explain?
The only way that makes sense (to me) is if the hours were demonstration hours such as by the sales person showing the NEW camcorder to a prospective customer, or production line testing of the camcorder as part of the QC program. Kind of like the miles on the odometer of a new car from a dealer, that do not count against the new car warranty mileage.

Solid state camcorders do have wearing parts; flash recordable memory wears, iris, focus and zoom components wear, internal rechargable batteries wear, control switches and contacts.

Failures follow a notional "bath tub" curve, greatest early in life and again late in life.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
I'm refering to a 'secondhand' camera, not brand new. When a seller says its new but may have been reset? Can anyone explain?
I think the menu level reset function will restore the color settings and custom functions back to factory default but leave the hours meter alone. Since the XF300 model has been out only a year or two, any XF300 could be defined as a new camera. Similarly an HXA1s purchased new today is still an old camera.

When buying second hand, it is best if you trust the seller and know the history of the camera. I recently bought a used camera on dvinfo. While I didn't know the seller, his posts told a history of how the camera was used, how it performed and his attention to its care. That camera turned out exactly as expected and I'm happy with the purchase.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders