Beeping Sound on XF100/105 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Beeping Sound on XF100/105

Has anyone run into this?

On both our XF100 and XF105, when recording, I'm hearing a very faint beeping sound.

It's like three beeps, or chirps, rapidly. Then a second delay, then the three "chirps." One camera guy couldn't hear it in the headphones, but I could.

I can hear it on playback in the camera. It is not there when just listening to the audio if I'm not recording.

AND . . . it's not there when I play the file on the computer.

Any ideas?
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Beeping Sound on XF100/105

Hi, Tom............

Interesting one. Sounds like demodulated RF (mobile phone etc) getting fed into the headphone amp.

As it's not on the file it's not making it into the audio input chain, which is a plus.

Just as a punt, when you can hear the beeps, are you/ others using exactly the same headphone set?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,

It wasn't the usual sound of a cell phone "phoning home" that we are familiar with.

The other camera operator used the same headphones and could not hear it, but he said his hearing isn't that good.

I'll try it with different headphones.

Just a really strange one.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Major Player

"The other camera operator used the same headphones and could not hear it, but he said his hearing isn't that good."

As you get older you lose the high frequencies in hearing and that is possibly the reason why your colleague did not hear it. I remember having a "test" between 3 of us many years ago and was gobsmacked by the difference in sound frequencies we could hear. Being the oldest of the three by 10-20 years I came last :(
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Tourist

I recently purchased an XF100 for some video projects at work and am picking up the same beeping you described. It is faint when using the internal mic but very noticeable when using external mics attached to the XLR.

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Cheers
Shawn Bosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Tourist

I also get this beeping sound when recording. Very low level on balanced xlr inputs but noticeable when using the 3.5mm jack. Its on the recorded file also. Not a major problem since it can be easily filtered out in post (notch around 400hz I think). Probably some camera RF that's getting into the mic input preamps and being demodulated, still annoying on a pro camera though. I doubt there's a fix.

Martin
Martin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

For me, it makes the cameras unusable. Why would anyone try to produce quality video with a camera that puts a beeping sound on the audio tracks?

CPS has my three cameras. My conversations with them don't leave me with much confidence that they can address it. Sounds like they only recently started believing customers who were telling them about it.

Hope they can fix them. We have a week-long shoot coming up -- three episodes of a network series.

Otherwise, there will be an urgent call to Lens Rentals. ;)
Old March 13th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Wrangler

Can someone post a snip of a WAV file with a sample of the beeping, as it is recorded (e.g., extracted from the file, without any other editing, filtering, or gain changes?
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Here is the sound. I've increased the gain a lot in post, to make it easier to hear. That's why there is a lot of "hash" in the file.

This was recorded with the audio on manual, nothing plugged into the XLRs, and the audio controls turned all the way down.

The sound can be heard only when wearing really good headphones.

I talked with CPS this morning. They have bumped this up to a higher level of tech to deal with.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Canon XF105 Cam B BEEP S.wav (1.19 MB, 206 views)
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Wrangler

How much gain did you apply?

Almost sounds like something is counting down (or up) at 2 second intervals.

Is it there in all environments, venues, connected accessories, and recording modes, or just some?

Are any of the wireless modes enabled, or active, in use?

(Reminds a bit me a bit of an issue I had with an XL1 and the XLR adapter. With a few battery (not all) packs a very low level noise bled into the audio.)
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Not sure exactly how much I brought up the gain in the editing program. It was probably in the area of 20 dB.

No wireless attached. No external mics of any kind attached. Audio set to manual. Levels turned to zero.

I'll be interesting to see what Canon says. Hope they can run it down. This is repeatable, and it's on several cameras.
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #12
Wrangler

A most unusual sound.
- The tones in the sample Tom provided are recorded about 5.5 dB above the noise floor.
- Attached is mono sample, with a bit of filtering applied to make it clearer to hear
- The tone bursts are regular, about every 1.9 seconds.
- They are comprised of sequential bursts of tone at about 1450 and 1780- Hz.
- The bursts appear to be comprised of two or three sub-bursts of tones of about 0.14 seconds each, but may be more complex than that.
- The first burst in the sample is somewhat different from the remainder
- If taken as a binary sequence it might be something like: AAA, ABA, AA, BAA, ABA, ABA, ABB

I wonder if this is related to lens control, or hunting for a wireless connection, or a similar function?
Attached Files
File Type: wav Canon XF105 Cam B BEEP S-mono.wav (612.7 KB, 138 views)
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #13
Major Player

Sounds similar to a modem from "the olden days" seeking a "handshake." Does the camera have some sort of wireless upload feature that may be turned on in the settings, even though you're not using it?

Some of the newer cameras can upload proxies.
Old March 24th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #14
Tourist

Tom, I wouldn't say it was unusable. If I use the xlr inputs the beeping is at a level low enough to be Inaudible in most real video sound track scenarios. It is annoying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gresham View Post
For me, it makes the cameras unusable. Why would anyone try to produce quality video with a camera that puts a beeping sound on the audio tracks?

CPS has my three cameras. My conversations with them don't leave me with much confidence that they can address it. Sounds like they only recently started believing customers who were telling them about it.

Hope they can fix them. We have a week-long shoot coming up -- three episodes of a network series.

Otherwise, there will be an urgent call to Lens Rentals. ;)
Martin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 02:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Followup. Canon CPS said they can't reproduce it. Strange.

They have returned the cameras. I'm going to test them again to see if the beeping is still there. If so, . . .

???

Might be time to get that Sony FS7 I've been looking at. :) We have the FS700.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders