DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Windjammer xf100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/509743-windjammer-xf100.html)

Ann Bens August 2nd, 2012 07:05 AM

Windjammer xf100

I ordered a mini windjammer by Rycote especially for the XF100.
Found it very disappointing. It only covers the front part of the audiounit.
Only touching it very slightly the windjammer slips off very easily on one side, making it rather useless.
So I returned the item.
Looking for a alternative. One that maybe covers the whole audiopart, unfortunately it will cover the hotshoe as well. Although won't be needing a windjammer while using xlr.
Its very difficult to find windjammers with measurements as the usually only mention the camera's model.

Wil Vermeesch August 2nd, 2012 12:39 PM

Re: Windjammer xf100

I use my jammer from the same manufacturer but the one I also use at my Canon XHA1 camera.
This one fits perfectly over the micro from the XF100

Ann Bens August 3rd, 2012 09:24 AM

I have a MikeMuff for my A1 which was actually for my old Sony 2100 and is a tad too small, but it serves it purpose, however it will not fit the xf100.
Do you have a product number by any chance.

Wil Vermeesch August 3rd, 2012 11:19 AM

Sorry,I do not know anymore
I think you are Dutch, go to cameratools or cameraland with your camera and let them chech?
Sucess

Michael Fousie August 3rd, 2012 03:25 PM

If you have a Zoom h4n foam microphone cover it fits perfectly on the xf100 and works great to stop wind noise. You might give it a try if available.

Ann Bens August 4th, 2012 07:48 AM

Wil and Michael thanks for the suggestions, will check them out.

Martin Catt August 4th, 2012 08:51 AM

Second the foam cover for the H4N. It fits perfectly on my XF300, and I made a fake-fur "sock" with a drawstring to go over it to cut down the wind noise even more.

Martin

Ann Bens August 5th, 2012 04:03 AM

Does the windjammer for the H4N come with a foam lining or just the fur.

Steve Porchet August 12th, 2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Bens (Post 1746588)
I ordered a mini windjammer by Rycote especially for the XF100.
Found it very disappointing. It only covers the front part of the audiounit.
Only touching it very slightly the windjammer slips off very easily on one side, making it rather useless.
So I returned the item.
Looking for a alternative. One that maybe covers the whole audiopart, unfortunately it will cover the hotshoe as well. Although won't be needing a windjammer while using xlr.
Its very difficult to find windjammers with measurements as the usually only mention the camera's model.

I too purchased the Rycote windjammer for my XF300 and it didn't fit, to say the least. Has anyone come up with an alternative cover for the Xf300?

Sam Young August 13th, 2012 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Bens (Post 1746999)
Does the windjammer for the H4N come with a foam lining or just the fur.

The H4N kit only comes with the foam lining, no fur.

Mike Beckett August 13th, 2012 04:25 AM

Has anyone contacted Rycote about this for advice? I'm sure they'd be more than happy to offer advice or listen to feedback about the product.

Ann Bens August 13th, 2012 09:23 AM

Might not hirt to drop them a line. Wildo.

Mike Ayotte August 13th, 2012 03:07 PM

I purcased the Rode Dead Kitten from B&H. It fits fine ,here is a link to an earlier discussion: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...een-xf100.html

Ann Bens August 14th, 2012 03:31 AM

I dropped Rycote a line:

Dear Ann,
Thank you very much for your email.
Please accept our apologies regarding this issue, I have passed this on to my manager and we are going to look into this problem further.
Once again apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,
Rhiannon

Dead Kitten might be a good option or the Rycote Mini Windjammer Extended medium.

Mike Beckett August 14th, 2012 04:38 AM

Apart from physical fitting problems, I wouldn't expect too many miracles from windshields that are just lumps of fur (even those with a Rycote badge on them).

And the foam off the Zoom H4n is only really for pops/plosives from speech, it won't do much in any real wind.