Problem with XF-300 firmware 1.0.4.0 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 29th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem with XF-300 firmware 1.0.4.0 ?

I just upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.0.4.0 firmware and seem to have screwed my camera.

Immediately after upgrading my XF-300 firmware 1.0.4.0 I noticed a problem. When the zoom is operated, either via ring or rocker, there is a noticeable noise from the zoom motor. It sounds rough, like the servo is not being properly controlled. Kind of rumbly. I have never heard this noise before. The camera has been totally silent. that I can recall, except when the neutral density filters were changed, which is a physical operation and to be expected.

Even when the zoom is not being operated there seems to be a steady lesser noise from that area of the camera. I feel the noise is loud enough that it could be picked up by the on-camera mics or shotgun mic. Well, actually, the operation is so rough as I turn the zoom ring that it can be felt in the camera body!

Now maybe it is a coincident failure - or maybe not.

If anyone has upgraded to 1.0.4.0 firmware, could you please listen in a quiet environment to the noise of your zoom lens operating, by both ring and rocker?

And if someone was thinking of installing the new firmware, could you please carefully listen to the sound of your zoom before and after the firmware upgrade and let me know what you think? Best yet - make a pre and post -upgrade audio recording :-)

Thanks.

Brett

Note: see my own followup message, after this one

Last edited by Brett Delmage; August 29th, 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Brett Delmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Problem with XF-300 firmware 1.0.4.0 ?

Note: a followup to my initial report about XF-300 zoom motor noise:

I reset the camera completely using the recessed reset button. That seems to have reduced the zoom motor drive noise almost completely. I do feel there is a little bit of remaining noise at times that wasn't there before the firmware upgrade that was not there before, but it is much, much less.

That was an unexpected outcome, because the camera appeared to be reset after the firmware flash, because it prompted for date/time on startup as it did after the full reset. Odd.

Could someone please tell me if there is any audible zoom noise (in a quite environment and listening close to the camera) on your camera, and what the installed firmware is. I'm still trying to decide if I should raise this with CPS. Thanks.
Brett Delmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Tourist

Re: Problem with XF-300 firmware 1.0.4.0 ?

Brett:

I am checking my XF-300 (with firmware 1.0.4.0) right now. I'm in a very quiet spot, and I can't say that I hear any noise at all from operating both the zoom ring and rocker switches. I've had the 1.0.4 firmware installed just a few days past it's release without any issues...

Your instinct regarding CPS is a good one. I would recommend getting Canon involved, your zoom ring shouldn't be making that much noise.

Best regards,

Brian
Brian Struble is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders