I have a problem with my CF cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I have a problem with my CF cards

It seems like it is always something. I have been using two Delkin, 32g 500x cards for about a month, XF300 camera hours say a little over 13 hours. Today my camera comes up with the warning "files corrupted do you want to recover" of course I say yes. Interestingly enough it happens every time at the 5 min mark. In other words after exactly 5 min of continuous recording there is an error. So I switched cards and the same thing, So I switched from the A slot to the B slot, same thing. I have reformatted each card in the camera, several times, switched each card, and each slot, exactly the same thing.
I have two 32g 700x Delkin cards and no errors. No problem. It just seems weird that after several uses this happens to both cards at the same time.
Any body else or is it just me?

scott

these are the two cards,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851088-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDCF500_32GB_32GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845275-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDCF700_32GB_32GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html
Scott Hepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: I have a problem with my CF cards

Assuming you shoot at 50 mbps the 500-card only writes 40 mbps that is too slow. That might be the cause.
I do not live in the USA but is Delkin an established brand?
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Wrangler

Re: I have a problem with my CF cards

The cards are rated to write at 40MB/sec (bytes) and 67MB/sec, respectively, and the camera records at 50Mb/sec (bits). So pure recording speed wouldn't be the root of the problem. There are Delkin cards on the approved Canon list:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : XF300

but I'm not sure if yours are exactly the same cards as those or not (assuming not since the model number doesn't match).

Even the approved Delkins have a double asterisk that says they're not certified for slow motion. Like just about everything else, CF cards have firmware in them each manufacturer implements that firmware in its own way. Just because it is rated as fast enough does not mean it is fully compatible with a particular recording device like a Canon XF, hence the approved list.

Since 50mb/sec clips are about 5 minutes long, I'm just taking a wild guess that maybe the particular card model you're using has firmware issues writing out the files, or opening a new one properly during continuous recording.

If you can get your hands on a different brand of card from the certified list and test, it'll at least verify it is an issue related to your specific Delkin CF cards.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders