Date and Time Stamp on XF300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Date and Time Stamp on XF300?

Hi Folks,

Doing some research on this, but I thought I'd ask here as well about putting a date/time stamp feature for the XF300?

I may have a few deposition projects coming up and a client has asked about it.

Thanks in advance,
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Date and Time Stamp on XF300?

Meaning, you wish to visually, permanently, embed the Date/Time into the video, so it will be seen regardless of the content that's also there? Yes?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Grazie,

Yep, that's right.

I haven't found anything yet, but I haven't cracked open the manual yet either. I suppose if this feature isn't available on the XF300 I could just put a sign with a date on it, and have a digital clock in the picture.

Best,
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Old Boot

On page 175 "Character Record" records EVERYTHING that is seen in the LCD Screen. However, you will need to set up the screen to reflect that which you want. I'm guessing you'd also be recording the amount of Battery time left! - Now, you'd not want that in the recording, but you MAY want to know it?

As I say I'm only guessing, but you'd need to decide what it was you were wanting. You ALSO need to display the format of the DATE/Time stamp. This is not as easy as you and I know as just inadvertently leaving the Date/Time stamp being recorded. This is a more pro approach to this, and one which I like - no accidental possibility of me leaving the DATE/Time left on over a client's work . . . . oo-er . . . . I'm also guessing you could set up a SD card with these "features" ready to go and import them as a working template? Dunno . . .

Anyways, it appears you can. It would also appear I will be kept well away from it! - Breathe out and relax . . . .

Cheers

Grazie
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Old Boot

It is very very deep . . Here's what I've gleaned from the User Manual:

Menu Options >> Other Functions Menu >> Custom Function >> Character Rec : ON or OFF

And again, you'd need to set the type of characters you'd want to see - yes?

Grazie
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Grazie,

Appreciate the archeological digging and the golden nuggets that you've dug up!

You're right, I don't think the client would like seeing any other info aside for the date and the time. But will have to see what choices I have on the cam.

Best,
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Old Boot

Jeff, you're welcome.

As to switching to this feature easily, I understand one COULD (I wont be! LOL!) set this set of instruction up on an SD card and use that as your own personal prefs in the future.

Toodles

Grazie
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Major Player

So after a few trial runs in the office, I was able to turn on the Date/Stamp function and have it record on screen.

To get the Date/Stamp function ON:

Menu > LCD/VF Setup > Custom Display > Date/Time > (Choose--Date/Time; Time; Date; or Off)

And like Grazie said, you need to have Character Rec to ON:

Menu > Other Functions > Character Rec > On

I've set it up so I can "see" the Date and Time, Remaining Record Time (on CF cards), Audio Levels, and the Recording Light (with the Remaining Battery Indicator set to Warning) . And yes, all of them is embedded on the video.

Also, I've used Peaking a couple of times, and that was recorded on video as well.

Big thanks again to Grazie!
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Old Boot

Jeff, you're very welcome. However, I hope you don't mind that I wont be using the "feature", as I don't believe I'll be using it in the very near future - lol!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders