XF300 Interval Recording - Number of frames? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 18th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: XF300 Interval Recording - Number of frames?

OT: You are running CS6 yes.
For timelaps with stills do the color correction in Lightroom and import the stills as an image sequence into Premiere.
Much less strain on your machine.

For timelaps with PAL and xf100 i set it to the shortest interval and speed it up in CS6 to 200%. That will get rid of the extra frame.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #17
Inner Circle

For any relatively short timelapse (say up to an hour or two) I find it far easier to just speed it up in post. If all you want is clouds whizzing past a building to indicate the passage of time this is far more straightforward.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:00 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
OT: You are running CS6 yes.
For timelaps with stills do the color correction in Lightroom and import the stills as an image sequence into Premiere.
Much less strain on your machine.

For timelaps with PAL and xf100 i set it to the shortest interval and speed it up in CS6 to 200%. That will get rid of the extra frame.
Ann are you saying that with Premiere Pro CS6 I could create a movie file from stills without using After Effects or Quicktime Pro? I did not know that. I have now added After Effects CS6 to my list of Adobe apps though, so have it covered.

What resolution would you shoot the stills at? And would you shoot RAW or JPG? I don't use Lightroom, preferring to do it all with Bridge and Photoshop.
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
For any relatively short timelapse (say up to an hour or two) I find it far easier to just speed it up in post. If all you want is clouds whizzing past a building to indicate the passage of time this is far more straightforward.
I'm guessing you would not shoot such a clip at 50MB/s Nigel? What I am looking for is a time lapse of a sunrise for the opening and title sequence of my current project. So up to ten seconds of finished video, that would fade leaving the title masked over the sunrise. The project is a promo for a Convention we are running in 2014, the theme of which is 'The Colours of Marlborough' and I have been trying various ideas for the opening sequence. I think I am going to use both the XF300, and a stills sequence from my 1DMK4, to give me something to play with.

I was going to do this at a beach about 15 kilometres from where I live, but I have decided to use the vineyard (which is well into its budding phase) just across the road from my house.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:32 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Sunrise/sunset time-lapse are the most difficult sequences to get right as the exposure is tricky. You need to use some sort of auto mode because of the changing exposure but this induces flicker even when you are using AV mode the Canon DSLRS iris still seems to give a little twitch. There is a sunrise & sunset time-lapse that top & tail this little film for which I used the 5D2. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ilmed-gh2.html
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:59 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Nigel. I have been trawling through the Timescapes FAQs and forums since I wrote the above, and discovered just how many variables there are. I’d be happy to invest in something like GBDeflicker to smooth out the tonal values, as I suspect time lapse would have on-going appeal. Rather like HDR with stills photography.

So I am just going to have a few early mornings and try it out, and try and learn by my mistakes.
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM   #22
Major Player

I am still learning on the XF305. Had it for about 7 months. It's been a very easy camera to use and I especially like the wave form monitor. Anyhoot, I just tried the interval record mode for the first time. I shot some daytime clips and then tried to do a night sequence of the city skyline. Way too much noise. I think it will be useful in some situations for making a time lapse and saving some shutter clicks on the dSLR. I don't see how I'd be able to shoot a sunrise/sunset with it though. I have enough trouble doing that on a 7D. My next method to try is using a reverse graduated ND filter on the 7D for my sunrise time lapse. Here's a short video of my interval record mode testing I made while on a trip to Brisbane, QLD, Australia.

It was shot in 1080-60i and then rendered out in MPEG2 and then Vimeo had it's way with it, so... drop your rocks, it looks 4x's better in original format.

Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Major Player

Camera was in 1080-60i mode. Shutter was 1/60. Interval 1 fps. I think I had it on auto iris. In another test I tried to blur the cars and boats by setting the shutter to 1/15 and using the ND filters to get proper exposure. Seems this would have made for some blur but I didn't see any difference when played back in camera so went back to 1/60 and left it alone.

For Vegas, I just set project properties to match the media, then when I rendered out, I chose Main Concept MPEG-2 Program Stream NTSC Widescreen.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders