DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   I Can View Text Images in LCD/EVF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/512662-i-can-view-text-images-lcd-evf.html)

Mark Watson December 11th, 2012 08:53 AM

I Can View Text Images in LCD/EVF

To have the LCD or EVF display an image of a text document you've created, follow this procedure:

Preliminaries -- Prep the SD card first by taking at least one photo with the camera. This will create the necessary folders on the card (DCIM/101 CANON). The first photo taken will be saved as IMG_0101.JPG. Once you have a photo on it, remove the card and put it into the card reader of your computer.

1. Open MS Word 2007. In the Page Layout menu make these settings; margins to 0.5, orientation to landscape, size to A3 and columns to 2
2. Set your font size to 36. Now type in some text, anything will do. I plan to make lists of camera settings and checklists for a variety of shooting scenarios. Type in enough text so that you get a page filling up the 2 columns.
3. You want the text to fill as much of the screen as possible, so at the top of the screen, just to the right of the "Repeat Typing" arrow thing, click on the down arrow and put a checkmark on the "Minimize the Ribbon" option. This will get most of the menu out of the way.
4. Perform a Print Screen to save the screenshot to the clipboard.
5. Open the Paint program and paste the image. Use the "Minimize the Ribbon" option again to open up more screen space.
6. Move the image up to expose as much of it as possible, then click on Home, Select. Select as much of the text area you can. Click on Home, Crop.
7. Save the image to the SD card in the format of: IMG_0102.JPG (don't overwrite an existing file)
8. Insert the SD card back into the camera. Go to Media mode, press the INDEX button to bring up the menu and select Photo Index. Your image thumbnail might appear as a big "?" question mark. Highlight it and press PLAY. Your text image should appear on the LCD/EVF.

Note: the settings I gave are not very important but just given to help demonstrate the technique. With these, I get 15 rows and two columns of text, 22 characters wide each column... and can have hundreds of pages fit on a single card.

Mark

Chris Hurd December 11th, 2012 08:46 PM

Re: I Can View Text Images in LCD/EVF

Excellent tip -- thanks for sharing this, Mark!

Harry Pallenberg December 11th, 2012 11:59 PM

Less steps?
1) Type what you want in any text typing app then take a pic of the computer screen with the camera.
2) Done.

Chris Soucy December 12th, 2012 12:39 AM

Er, Mark............

Am I being particularly dense here (wouldn't be the first time) but, er, what, exactly, is the point?

I could probably view text images on the surface of the moon if I was nuts enough to build a laser projector that could do it, I'd still need a telescope to read it.

But, erm, why?

I have a particularly nice 27" screen right in front of me that does text pretty damn good, why, in the name of Zeus, would I want to watch the stuff on my video camera, especially having gone through all that BS?

(Harry pretty well just short circuited this idea).

I think you may have an answer to a question that absolutely no-one on the planet is going to ask, but then, if anyone feels like asking, I'd be interested to hear/ read - why and what for?

Just my take.

CS

Graham Bernard December 12th, 2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1767599)
Er, Mark............

Am I being particularly dense here (wouldn't be the first time) but, er, what, exactly, is the point?

My brain cell is attempting to see where I'd be using this. Is it so I can overlay recording video with text of importance?

* Copyright?

* Legal stuff?

* Dailies?

Also, Mark adds :"With these, I get 15 rows and two columns of text, 22 characters wide each column... and can have hundreds of pages fit on a single card."

I need more example-input to sense the USP on this feature.

Apart from all of this, thanks for posting. How on earth did you discover this? What were you doing at the time? And . . . . . . nope, I'll stand down now.

Grazie

Graham Bernard December 12th, 2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Watson (Post 1767502)
I plan to make lists of camera settings and checklists for a variety of shooting scenarios.

Ah, there you are! Got it.

I use my iPhone for displaying all sorts of memos to myself.

Grazie

Chris Hurd December 12th, 2012 11:37 AM

Cool is cool, no matter the lack of practical application (not saying there's a lack here). Frankly, I love stuff like this!

Nigel Barker December 14th, 2012 05:49 AM

Ingenious but I doubt that reading a book on the LCD or EVF is ever going to rival using a Kindle.

Les Wilson December 14th, 2012 01:30 PM

Keynote or PowerPoint would be easier. Both let you Save As to images. Each page is a JPEG. No paint or screen caPture.