DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Effect of initializing a CF card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/513022-effect-initializing-cf-card.html)

Len Rosenberg December 29th, 2012 05:33 PM

Effect of initializing a CF card

Hi again. After backing up my cards, I initialized them in the camera to erase all the data (I assume that initializing is the same as "format" on a camera. I then tried to use the card in a canon DSLR, and could not format the card. The camera's read indicator light (red l.e.d.) came on and stayed on, and I could not bring up the camera menu, it was frozen. Can anyone explain what is happening, and how to fix the problem?
Thanks all,

Len

Graham Bernard December 29th, 2012 09:36 PM

Re: Effect of initializing a CF card

Maybe you need to initialise CF cards for use with the device you're using the CF card for?

Grazie

Len Rosenberg December 29th, 2012 09:40 PM

Yes, that is what I am trying to do, but cannot.

Thanks,

Len

Graham Bernard December 29th, 2012 10:07 PM

My bad.

Maybe a Factory Format? Get in touch with the makers? Do some Googling? Can you Format another CF card in that DSLR? That'll ensure that process is running correctly.

Grazie

Len Rosenberg December 29th, 2012 11:51 PM

Yes, the camera will format a card that has not been initialized in the XF100, so that process is fine. I'll try googling the issue but I think this forum is my best hope.

Thanks again,

Len

Bob Hart December 30th, 2012 12:01 AM

If all else fails, maybe try quick formatting, or if this fails, try initiating then quick formatting the card as FAT32 on a Windows PC or Mac. If you succeed, then try formatting the card in your camera. If that does not work, then maybe try a full format on the PC or Mac.

I understand maybe wrongly so someone please correct, that full formatting of CF cards and SSDs is not deisrable as it apparently may consume more of its working life.

Len Rosenberg December 30th, 2012 12:21 AM

Thanks, I will try formatting the card on my computer.

Regards,

Len

Trevor Dennis December 30th, 2012 04:51 AM

It does make you think. I have two near identical 32Gb 60MB/s Sandisk CF cards sitting on the desk in front of me, and the only way I know from looking at them which is for my XF300 and which for DSLR, is that the DSLR card has more wear and tear. Time to mark them appart methinks.

Ann Bens December 30th, 2012 01:16 PM

Only format a card in the camera NEVER in the computer.

Bob Hart December 30th, 2012 09:50 PM

QUOTE:
"Only format a card in the camera NEVER in the computer".

I have no dispute with you there with your good advice.

In this instance however when all is apparently lost with this one CF card, it is just one more option to perhaps restore the card to a state where the camera can recognise it and then format it. "If all else fails, maybe ----"

Rodolfo Pena January 1st, 2013 05:14 PM

No, you don't need to format the card in your computer, just delete, trash and empty thash the contents of it, then iniatilize it on the camera you want to use it with.

Trevor Dennis January 1st, 2013 11:25 PM

I know that we should never format camera flash media while connected to a computer, but I routinely rename the folder before dragging across to the computer hard drive. The only problem this has ever caused is that that folder and its contents are not recognised when the card is put back in the camera, so if you forget to format it, you lose storage space. I can only remember making that mistake once in the eight or nine years I've shot digital.

Nigel Barker January 2nd, 2013 01:59 AM

I have 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards that have been used in a C300 XF100 5D3 & 5D2. There is never an issue with using a card in one type of camera rendering it unusable in another nor should there be. I suspect either a fault with the card or the camera.

Brett Delmage January 5th, 2013 02:58 AM

I'll second this. I swap 32 GB Lexar cards between my XF300 and 1D Mark IV DSLR all the time without issue.

Brett

Vincent Oliver February 8th, 2013 01:14 AM

Check to see if you have locked the data whilst the card was in the camcorder, if not then put it back in the XF and re-format it.