Owning Single Camera vs. Multiple Cameras - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 5th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Owning Single Camera vs. Multiple Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
Kyle,

This is a significant price drop for such a camera. It makes me wonder if the EOS Cinema line is forcing the price drop, specifically the C100. The other option is that maybe sometime mid year we'll be hearing about the next line of cameras. It seems a little soon to consider a replacement but with all of the technology that's coming out, Canon could be trying to get people like me to upgrade while others are considering the EOS Cinema line. I actually looked at the C100 but, I can't understand why I would want that camera over anything else. It just seems to be lacking. And then of course there are the others but they are probably more than I need. I'll admit, the XF100 is sounding really good right now. At that price, I might be able to swing the XF100 too. :-)

Indeed, you could almost buy an XF300 and XF100 for about the MSRP of the XF300 alone.

That was really a shocker to see if for $4995.

$1,500 off is pretty sweet.

Just a few weeks ago, Nikon did something similar with their FX 'pro' line of DSLRs with the D600, their entry FX pro model. They offered a $700 discount and included a decent lens. A lot of discussion on them coming out with something new for DX pro in early Q1 this year, so they were trying to move existing product and convert users to their full frame line.

With such a steep discount on a flagship camera, there is a chance that they are planning to release something new.

I just typed, "On the other hand, none of other XF models have had a price drop, so that is curious. They may also just be re-aligning their pricing model to reflect the new EOS cinema line." ... but then I went to BH and looked, and now the entire XF line is discounted, although the 100 series is only $200 off, $2,795. The XF305 is now $5995. I'm pretty sure this was not the case yesterday when this conversation started.

Interesting.
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I shoot weddings & use an XF105 for ceremonies & speeches as my unattended wide safety shot with the added bonus of XLRs for the wireless mics. The footage cuts together very well with 5D2 & 5D3 video. The XF300 has a higher resolution image & stands out for that reason. As a locked off unattended camera the XF100 is much smaller & more discreet.

Happily I sold my XF305 for a good price about 6 weeks ago before the price dropped. As I was hardly ever using it I had been debating all year whether I should sell it & in the end I didn't even put it up for sale but somebody just offered to buy it off me for 75% of what a new one costs today.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Major Player

That's interesting in that you might be the first person to comment that the XF300/305 footage doesn't match the 5D Mark III. I'm guessing that this would suggest that I should not get this camera to match up with the 5D Mark III. Just curious though, during weddings, is the XF100 sitting center isle? If so, I'm assuming that you're shooting with someone else, one with the Mark II and the other the Mark III and you guys are at set up left and right of the bride. This is similar to what I want to do. At the current price of the XF300, I was just thinking that it would be a good business move to get both the XF300 and the XF100. Is the XF100 a good run and gun camera or is it really just for as you put it a safety still camera and some interviews?
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Inner Circle

i try to always use compatible (if not the same) cameras, for the simple reason i can get one charger, one type of battery, one type of add-on lenses, filters, memory card, same menu/settings, color balance ... etc... will make your life a lot easier.
so i would go for the additional camera to be the same as the cheapest you already own (provided you are happy with its performance).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Major Player

Giroud,

Your post makes a lot of sense. I was hoping that at the current price of the XF100 and the XF300 that the cameras would be fully compatible. Through this post, I have found that this is not the case. Currently, I am shooting with a Canon XLH1 along side a 5D Mark III. I could very easily pick an XLH1 on the cheap but, I wouldn't have the newer technology. I like the idea of recording to tape but since getting my 5D Mark III, I love the idea of recording to a compact flash or SD card. That being said, this is why I am now considering the XF300. Given your response, it might make more sense to simply get to XF100's considering two XF300's are out of my price range right now.

The other issue that has now surfaced is that cameras are now coming out with 4K. I wondering if the XF100 and/or 300 is set up such that firmware can be issued to allow the cameras to shoot in 4K. I obviously don't know much about how that works but, If I'm going to spend this much money, I would sure like to have the latest technology.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #21
Trustee

On the rent versus buy thing, there's never been a camera I've owned that wasn't giving its best images just before I sold it. And I was practicing and improving with it the whole time I had it. So I'm envious that some people are so good they can go rent one, shoot expertly out of the box with little to no familiarity. I spend a lot of time learning what makes each cam its best.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Slash Rules!

I figure the situation has to be SOMEWHAT stable now, right?

Like if you have a cam that does 1080p, all the frame rates, at a decent compression scheme (e.g. EX1, HPX170), that cam shouldn't be obsolete 'til everything goes 4K or something. Just like when the first DVX camcorder came out, it was good to go up 'til HD took over, regardless of the XL2 or DVX upgrade camcorders coming out later.

Obviously some folks want the shallow DOF look. So if you had then, a 5DM2 or something like an AF100, unless you're playing the "latest and greatest" game, those cams should do until, again, there's another huge jump in production quality requirements (i.e. 4K, 3D, etc.)

Am I way off base? I realize it depends on who your clients are (corporate video/smaller jobs vs commercials/movies/narrative TV) but for the smaller guys?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I know this: In interview or live performance situations, having at least two matched cameras is a godsend to anyone who wants creative insert shots off the master shot and hates to hear the phrase: ". . . fix it in post".

I still miss the matching XL2 cameras that only fell to the wayside because of HD. I loved them, but seriously, the image produced by the XL300 is now. I don't think the cabal of manufactures is anywhere near through getting people to go 1080p on their viewing screens, and I for one won't go near 4k unless there's a budget that includes film transfer. Owning XF300 level cameras does make since in 2013. Especially if the next thing coming drops the price even farther. It always will.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
On the rent versus buy thing, there's never been a camera I've owned that wasn't giving its best images just before I sold it. And I was practicing and improving with it the whole time I had it. So I'm envious that some people are so good they can go rent one, shoot expertly out of the box with little to no familiarity. I spend a lot of time learning what makes each cam its best.
I totally agree with your post Tom. This has always been my approach. I have never been happy with renting so I do not do it. But, I also realize that renting might be a better business move at times. Depends upon the type of work you do.

But with this class of 1/3" cameras that are priced from $4500-$5000 there is not a lot stopping the purchase. If you can not justify a $5,000 camera purchase then video as a business is not acting like a business.

Josh is correct that these camera will not be obsolete for completing work for a loooong time. Maybe for resale, but not for working. Heck, a lot of what I do still gets delivered on DVD :(
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Perdomo View Post
wow...I think this is a really good set up for my growing video company. I Just need a couple of reliable videographers...I will provide the tools and the training...
Well I think I am a reliable videographer and seeking for job as a cameraman, and I live in Toronto, so if you are still thinking of it, just let me know!!!
Rodolfo Pena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders