DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Fully Functioning LANC Controller (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/513347-fully-functioning-lanc-controller.html)

Trevor Dennis January 9th, 2013 06:47 PM

Fully Functioning LANC Controller

1 Attachment(s)
After a thorough search for my missing Manfrotto 521Pro LANC controller, I checked my hard drive for the most recent clip I’d used it on, which turned out to be an illuminated fountain in a night time park, so I had to accept it had fallen off the pan bar while carrying the gear back to my truck. Having got used to using the LANC controller I found I was hopeless at performing smooth zoom control without one, so I ordered one of these:

Manfrotto RC Pan Bar EX Remote Control for LANC Cameras | eBay

What has rather surprised me is that after experimenting, and even reading the instructions, it is 100% functional including zoom, focus, and iris control. You can set it to either use the rocker control or push focus. Iris control needed a look at the instructions, but setting the camera to auto iris lets you adjust the iris in slow smooth steps from the LANC controller.

I think it shipped from the USA, but it got to New Zealand in well under a week.

This link should take to a scan of the instructions. Click on Actions > View all sizes to download the full res version

http://flickr.com/gp/trevor-dennis/Z600Bi

Tim Polster January 10th, 2013 11:25 AM

Re: Fully Functioning LANC Controller

Thanks for sharing Trevor. Looks like a nice controller. Too bad they do not make a clamp on version that is as nice. I do not care for the one-length bars for tripod work or the fact that you can not transfer the controller for another work setup.

Trevor Dennis January 10th, 2013 03:04 PM

AFAICT the length is fixed, which is apity because it is a wee bit shorter than I would like. I have not tried removing the controller from the pan arm though, so it might be possible to use it in another situation.

Ronald Jackson January 11th, 2013 12:54 AM

I use a Sony RM-VD1 LANC controller, which a lot cheaper than the Manfrotto version and can be clipped to my Vinten pan bar. Provides "on/off", "record/pause" and "zoom".

Ron

Trevor Dennis January 11th, 2013 02:33 AM

Ronald, one of the reasons I posted this, was that someone was recently asking for information about a remote control for Canon XF cameras he could use on a jib, and could control the Iris. I think that poster used one of the Canon remotes in the end, but there did not seem to be a lot of options that provided iris control. In fact I did not expect that function to work with this controller and was pleasantly surprised when it did.

BTW I tried removing the controller from the pan arm to see if I could win some extra length. but the grip is firm attached to the bar, so it looks like there is no easy way to extend the bar.

Allan Black January 11th, 2013 04:59 AM

Trevor, sorry about the Lost Lanc, yep, the more you use 'em the better the shots get, especially tracking vehicles while zooming in/out .. smooooth :)

The Manfrotto MRV901EPLA is a replacement for the 523PROi, which we have 3 of and find them very good. Years ago a pro showed me how to stand back
and step around the tripod legs while doing a smooth continuous 180 degree pan. This LANC controller helps bigtime and I don't use the cameras viewfinder I use its LCD. On bright sunny days I turn the LCD brightness up a tad and use an LCD hood.

Also found that gaffer taping the 523PROi plugs up, keeps dust out and the plugs seated. I use this LANC on the left side of my Miller Compass 15 tripod.
After I balanced the XH-A1 and A1S cams sitting on my Compass, I put a 3" strip of thin white tape on their lower left sides, with each camera balance point marked on it. Makes it much faster and easier to set up, especially when I use the heavy Canon wide angle adaptor.

Though discontinued, the 523PROi is still available on ebay .. Manfrotto 523PROi RC LANC PAN BAR for Sony Canon 523 PROi Free Shipping EMS | eBay

Here's another new Manfrotto LANC with more features and it clamps on, but costs $A513.00.

Manfrotto Debuts New Products that Deliver Greater Versatility, Ease of Use at NAB 2012 - Worldnews.com

Cheers.