XF300, odd start up noise? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
New Boot

XF300, odd start up noise?

Hi guys, im a little concerned about the startup sound of the XF300, yesterday i found an odd noise in my camcorder at the end of the startup sequence. Im used to the loud "clunk" of the lens but after that a tiny sound from the diaphragm that i dont remember. it is from the diaphragm when closing fast and then opening a little.

Can anyone please confirm that?

Rodrigo
Rodrigo Fajardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Sponsor: UsedAV.com

Re: XF300, odd start up noise?

No issue with ours, however its only used in Studio. Are you shooting outdoors in colder weather?
Scott Kase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Tourist

Hola paisano,

I hear the same noise in my camera, first the clunk and after the subtle noise, as far as I understand is the servo.

Mauro
Mauro Castano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Most new consumer-level miniature engineeering with plain bearings and permanent lubrication will gain a little noise as parts wear in and working clearances increase. Any spare lubrication which was acting as a noise damper is extruded out and thrown aside.

I suspect that from this point it will not become much noisier until it has about 2000 hours of actual duty under its belt and is wearing out.

By then you will have bought something newer and better and your kids or grandkids will be using the lens to burn caterpillars in the garden or sign their names on the parquetry floor when you are not looking as in "I smell smoke. Are you kids playing with matches?" "Nohh. We are just playing with this old camera we found in the basement".
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi guys thanks for your answers, i guess i will record that sound and upload it just for you to check and recognize its a safe sound ;)

By the way i believe the camcorder has no more than 50 hours of use.

Best regards

Rodrigo
Rodrigo Fajardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Tourist

My camera is still new with only a few hours of use and has made the noise since it was first bought a few weeks ago.

I thought it was normal - not knowing any better but all seems ok. Be interesting to know if it is the sign of a fault or worn parts etc.
George Monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Major Player

The noise is normal....was discussed at great length when the camera came out in 2010.......

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
The noise is normal....was discussed at great length when the camera came out in 2010.......

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim, do you have a link for that discussion?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders