Where to plug in LANC on XF100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 19th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Where to plug in LANC on XF100?

I can't find anywhere in the manual where it tells you where to plug a lanc control in. I see there is an AV plug, USB, but nothing that seems like it would be for a controller and how to set that up.

Anyone?

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Where to plug in LANC on XF100?

Look for a 2.5mm mini headphone-type jack labeled "Remote". I noticed Canon quit referring to this as a LANC, probably due to licensing from Sony or some similar legality. They now refer to the LANC feature simply as "remote".

Edit: Just checked the manual, it's on the right hand side, near the SD card slot.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mark.
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Just want to point out that LANC controllers are *not* compatible with Panasonic camcorders.

Sony owns LANC. Canon has a license to use LANC, use to call it LANC but now they don't, but the implementation is still LANC or at least close enough to it that there's no difference.

On Panasonic it is not LANC. It's a different protocol entirely, therefore a different type of remote lens controller that will not work with Sony or Canon, even though the 2.5mm stereo mini-jack looks to be the same. Confusing, I know, but hope this helps anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Do you guys know if the controller is just plug and play. Any settings need to be invoked?
I thought I read somewhere that zoom and focus should be set to manual.

Anyone using one of these with your xf100/105:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855154-REG/Libec_zfc_5hd_Remote_Zoom_and_Focus.html
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Plug and play. Couldn't be easier. This is simple technology, like some kind of ARINC pulses sent out to the camera. I use the Canon ZR-2000 on my XF305. Only set-up I did was go into the menu and change the setting for the remote controller's AE Shift switch. You have a choice of AE Shift or Iris. (it's all in the maual somewhere) I never use the AE Shift on the camera anyways so I set it so I can manually change the iris via remote.

What I've found is that I need to come up with a way to isolate the remote from the panning handle. The whole reason I got this was so I could make adjustments without introducing any jiggling of the camera. Maybe I'll try putting some 1/4" foam rubber between the two.....

Mark

Edit: Just got my XF305 out and did some checking. For focusing, I found it didn't matter if the camera was in AUTO or MANUAL, the remote controller will work as manual or auto depending on what is selected on the remote. For zooming, I had to set the camera to ROCKER mode in order for the zoom to work on the remote (LANC).

Last edited by Mark Watson; February 20th, 2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added info
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Mark, Thanks for taking time to look into that. Sure helps!

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders