DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF100 Mountain Lion - FCP7 Log and Transfer not recognizing XF100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/519170-xf100-mountain-lion-fcp7-log-transfer-not-recognizing-xf100.html)

Aya Okawa September 26th, 2013 12:49 PM

XF100 Mountain Lion - FCP7 Log and Transfer not recognizing XF100

Hello everyone,
So my house was broken into and my two editing laptops were stolen. Argh. So I am now in a pinch, trying to get everything re-set up on a new machine, with deadlines looming. Previously I was running FCP 7, on Lion and had no problems doing Log and Transfer from my XF100s. The replacement computer I purchased has Mountain Lion on it, and while I was able to get FCP 7 up and running fine, now Log and Transfer doesn't recognize the XF100. I installed the Canon driver that is supposed to fix that problem, but still, FCP7 doesn't see the Canon. I used this awful XF100 utility to import the footage I thankfully still had on the flash cards, but now I am unable to get it into FCP 7.

Anyway, from past threads I see that people were having this problem about a year ago but it sounded like the utility was what solved the problem then, which hasn't worked yet for me. If anyone has any quick advice on how to get up and running again I would really appreciate it. My brain is a bit muddled from this whole ordeal and I may be missing something obvious...Thanks in advance!

Aya Okawa September 26th, 2013 03:29 PM

Re: XF100 Mountain Lion - FCP7 Log and Transfer not recognizing XF100

Well, in case anyone else is interested in this, the verdict is that Mountain Lion with FCP7 is NOT supported at all by Canon anymore, even with the utility they released. Apparently the plug-in only works with computers that are upgraded to Mountain Lion, not machines that start out with Mountain Lion. My only option is to purchase a third party software that will transcode the XF100's MXF files to Prores so I can import them into FCP. This is the one that I am testing: Pavtube Video Converter for Mac - Mac Video Converter convert videos
Just in case this is helpful to anyone else...

Dave Fisher September 26th, 2013 06:35 PM

Sorry to hear of the thefts...thats a bummer!
As far as Final Cut 7...do what I did...make the jump to Final Cut X.! I admit I just made the leap recently, but now I can't believe I waited so long! It's pretty powerful actually....just a suggestion...
good luck
dave f

Scott Hiddelston September 29th, 2013 03:50 PM

Aya,
Might I suggest trying XfcpX ? its a free program that simply changes the container from mxf to mov. Then the files are easily ingested into FCP 7. just google XfcpX

Aya Okawa October 1st, 2013 10:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Dave and Scott! The Mountain Lion switch has proven to be quite a hassle in a number of ways, including playback problems in FCP7 and Quicktime. All my edits are looking strangely flashy like they are dropping frames, and the footage plays backs with strange bands. So I'm seriously considering finally making the switch away from 7; I just hadn't wanted to do it in the middle of these major projects that are all in FCP7. I have FCPX too but it hasn't been suitable for the work I do which often requires subtitles, and the subtitling program I use uses an XML that isn't compatible with FCPX's XML... so I'm considering Premiere but hesitant to make the plunge just yet.
I've already started using Pavtube and it seems to work fine, but thanks for the XFCPx suggestion Scott I'll check it out too.
If anyone has suggestions on how to best optimize an FCP7 and ML combo, I'm open!
Thanks!

Todd Mizomi October 1st, 2013 08:24 PM

Sorry to hear about the breakin. If I still had my old MB Pro with FCP7/Canon Utility on it, would have been happy to loan it out to you to help you meet your deadlines.

Regarding the issues with subtitling and FCPX - have you tried the Sugarfx plugin for subtitling?

Adding subtitles to FCPX and FCP7 timelines with the $49 Subtitles plugin from SUGARfx - fcp.co

Aya Okawa October 5th, 2013 11:40 PM

Thanks for that suggestion, Todd! I'll look into it. Part of the problem overall is that I have a lot of subtitles already generated using Inqscribe, imported into 7. So for now I may hold off, but moving forward it is good to know about sugar fx especially as I am going in the Premier direction and its compatibility with both FCP and Premier will be really useful. Thanks!