DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF305 Manfrotto RC Pan Bar - No Auto Focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/521689-xf305-manfrotto-rc-pan-bar-no-auto-focus.html)

Ian Mooney February 16th, 2014 04:38 AM

XF305 Manfrotto RC Pan Bar - No Auto Focus

I'm having problems using the Manfrotto RC Pan Bar with my XF305 in that it disables Auto Focus.

I shoot rugby (football), usually 2 or 3 games in a row so 3-4hrs at a time. To date I've been using the Zoom Ring to move in/out on the action as required. As the game moves quickly I tend to use Auto Focus as trying to zoom + focus etc. is a bit much for me.

I recently purchased a Manfrotto RC Pan Bar (MVR901EPLA) as a means of reducing the load on my left arm/shoulder. With the camera high on a tripod to get above the heads of spectators, getting my arm up to the zoom ring for hours was becoming quite painful.

Today was my first tryout with the new Pan Bar and while I was pleased with the zoom capability, I was very disapointed to discover this thing turns off Auto Focus. My camera is set with the Auto/Manual Focus switch set to AUTO. Power up without the Pan Bar connected - LCD shows AF. Plug the Pan Bar in and within a second the camera automatically switches to Manual Focus (MF on LCD). I tried power on/off with the Pan Bar connected, not connected etc. - no difference. When connected it drops the camera to Manual Focus.

Questions:
Does anyone out there have this config? If so, have you (or do you) see this behaviour?
More importantly, anyone got any advice on how I might re-instated Auto Focus while still using the Pan Bar!

Thanks in advance
Ian.

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 16th, 2014 04:52 PM

Re: XF305 Manfrotto RC Pan Bar - No Auto Focus

Yes, I get this behaviour with the XF300 ...

Mark Watson February 17th, 2014 02:21 AM

Sounds like a faulty remote unit (AF/MF Switch stuck contact??) The AF/MF functions all work properly with my Canon ZR-2000 and XF305. You should try plugging in the remote first, then powering on the camera to see if that makes any difference. I see there's a review on B&H where someone mentions the same problem.

Mark

Ian Mooney February 17th, 2014 05:39 PM

I feel somewhat stupid as I have discovered a slider switch on the side of the Pan Bar that switches between Auto and Manual Focus overriding the switch on the camera itself. Handy - if you know it's there!
Thanks to those who have replied already. Hopefully the message trail will assist someone else who stumbles this same path.
Regards
Ian

Andy Solaini February 19th, 2014 10:35 AM

Ian how are you finding the Pan Bar? I shoot aviation a lot and trying to do a smooth 180 degree pan while altering the zoom on my XF300 is a bit tricky. The Pan Bar might be just what I am looking for in that it presumably allows your hand to stay on the bar all the time.

Ian Mooney February 20th, 2014 08:41 AM

Andy, I'm quite happy with it. Recorded 2 rugby matches last Sunday and was able to keep the zoom level right where I wanted most of the time even with the auto/manual focus issue distracting me. The handle itself is quite large making it a very comfortable fit and the rocker switch is well crafted to comfortably place your thumb. Only caution I'd put out there is the speed of the zoom itself. It has a speed control knob which I set to maximum which suited my needs but planes travel in/out of range a lot quicker than rugby players run. I guess if your comfortable with the speed the camera gives with its rocker switch than you should be ok with the pan bar.