Soooo with more options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 26th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Soooo with more options

So with my new Xf300s, now I'm having a self debate about frame rates, 60i vs 30p for my weddings mainly. Since these cameras are such an upgrade from my Sony V1us, I'm going into debate mode.

I don't really want to start a frame rate argument, just looking for a little feed back specifically regarding the Xf300. Thanks in advance.
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Soooo with more options

It really depends on what kind of look you are going for. 30p gives it a bit of jitter to the picture that makes it look a little more artsy, not quite as severe as 24p. 60i looks more true to life. I use 60i but I'm shooting 99% sports.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Major Player

If making DVD or BD use 60i.
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

+1 for what Ann said.
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Lol, went all silly with my slowmo/fast recording today. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Vortex Media

Interlaced is so 1980's. Only use it if you want video that looks like home movies, local news, or live sports. This is 2014 and interlaced should not even be considered anymore.

I don't even understand the reasoning behind suggesting 60i if the output will be for DVD or BD. What difference does that make?
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I make this decision based upon the type of video and how much I will be moving the camera.

Main questions - Do you want smooth motion or frame judder? Are you going to be moving the camera very much? If you are panning a lot then 24p and 30p to a lessor extent will look juddery. This depends upon your shooting style.

30p is for internet in my mind. 60i can be better for DVD because the downconvert can be better as you never leave an interlaced format. (depends upon software).

In the end, it is all digital so experiment and forget what us internet blowhards have to say!! :)
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Well our typical MO is; stationary on tripods during the ceremony, then one is on a steadicam and the other on a tripod during the post ceremony/reception.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders