XF 100 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 16th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Major Player

XF 100 question

I have the XA10 and considered going to the XA20 as my second camera. I currently use a Sony AX-2000 and it's not bad because I like the 20x lens. The reason I don't want to go to the XA 20 is because I'm spoiled on the iris button of the Sony.

Since the vast majority of my videos are stage events, I like to be able to switch quickly from manual to auto mode with the iris and I can't do that with the 20.

I've been looking at videos of the XF 100 and while it's not a 20x lens I might still be able to live with it ... but I do have a question.

I know the front wheel can be changed for various uses like iris and zoom, but I also see a small iris button on the side of the camera. Does that iris button take you from auto to manual? If so then that might be the final factor in my decision. I tried reading the manual on-line, but I still wasn't sure I had my answer.

As to why I'm looking to replace the Sony ... to my eyes the Canon xa10 shoots a bit sharper ... probably because it's a newer lens. That, plus I'm looking to down size the equipment I carry.

If someone could verify the iris button control I would appreciate it.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XF 100 question

Yes, the iris button will toggle between auto and manual. Also, there is a 3-position switch on the left side of the lens barrel that allows you to choose whether the single manual ring operates the focus, zoom, or iris.

If you are interested in the XF100 and can wait a couple of months, you may like the XF200 even better. It will have 20X zoom and all three manual rings on the barrel that you'd expect of a pro camera (among other added features). It is the about the same size as the XF100 -- larger and heavier than the XA cameras but still pretty compact.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Darn you, Pete! LOL You really had me till you mentioned the new camera. I guess now I'll have to wait. I'm curious as to how much more that 20x lens is going to cost me.

Thanks for the information.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brooks View Post
Darn you, Pete! LOL You really had me till you mentioned the new camera. I guess now I'll have to wait. I'm curious as to how much more that 20x lens is going to cost me.

The XF200 will retail for $3500 US. So about $1000 more than the XF100. But you're getting a lot more camera for the money.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Major Player

$1000 more, eh. Well I'm sure it's got even more upgrades than I need, but the fact that it has 3 rings and 20x lens is possibly enough to get me to wait. My shows are going to be dying out here with the end of the school year, but I've gotten this far with what I've got. I guess I can hold out for a couple of months.

BTW ... this is possibly the most expensive question I've ever asked. :-/
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders