Windows 8 card read issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 25th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Tourist

Windows 8 card read issue

Hi
Hope someone can assist - I've had no luck searching for answers on the web.
Been using the XF100 with Windows 8.1 PC without any issues for a long time. Worked perfectly - able to download files with any problems.

Last weekend I went away, and used a Laptop with Windows 7 on it - Canon's XF Utility (on the Win 7 laptop) read and downloaded the files without any issue.

Tonight I tried to download more files from the camera onto my Win 8.1 PC. All went ok for about 30 seconds, then Windows stopped "seeing" card slot A. Not detected. Consequently XF Utility no longer detects card slot A.

Swapped the memory card to slot B and both Windows and XF Utility can see and read it. Reformatted the card (in camera) and shot a test video - Windows (XF Utility) again would only detect the card in camera slot B

Connected the camera to a Windows 8.1 laptop - and Windows will detect both card slots A & B. Canon's XF Utility likewise will detect both slots.

Plugged it back into the PC, only detects card slot B.

However, in Disk Management Console card slot A is shown as "healthy", but no drive letter is assigned to it. I can't do anything with it (e.g. assign a drive letter, reformat).

In Device Manager card slot A also shows up - as "working correctly". Uninstalled the driver, rebooted the computer - it reinstalled the driver, but again card slot A doesn't show up in Windows (but does in disk management).

Also tried the USB cable in different USB ports - not change. Card slot A still not detected.

It is obviously a Windows issue between plugging it in Windows 7 and 8.

Anyone with any ideas, please let me know.

thanks
William Gye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Windows 8 card read issue

Hi William.

This one is weird. OK with a W7L, same with a W8.1L, not OK with your W8.1D but was OK before.

I'm still working on steam XP but assume W8 has similar features. Check the W8 equivalent of Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, make sure the "Show Updates" box is ticked.

See if there's an auto update (for anything) that was installed on the day your system packed a sad. If there's any whatsoever, check the W8.1L and see if the same updates have happened on it. If the laptop is missing any updates that have been applied to the desktop, roll those updates back on the desktop.

If all that gets you nowhere, try a hard reset on the camera itself making a note of any special setups you have applied BEFORE you press that button.

If all that gets you a big fat Zero, I'm stumped.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #3
Tourist

Re: Windows 8 card read issue

Hi
Got me stumped too. Did a system restore - it worked fine for several transfers over a couple of weeks.

Today, transferred a clip successfully, then Slot A disappeared again from Windows (and Canon's XF Utility). On a windows 8.1 laptop - both slots appear fine.

Tried all the usual tricks (different leads, different USB ports etc.) - all to no avail. Really odd. Worked perfectly for a year then stopped.

Only solution is to use Slot B for my main card and if I use up 2 cards, then swap them around for the transfers.
William Gye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders