DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/526911-planning-acquiring-xf-200-second-cam-xf300.html)

Steve Grimshaw February 16th, 2015 05:55 PM

Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

I am planning to add the XF200 as a second cam to my X F300. I have a couple of questions for those in the know! When I bought the 300, I bought the wide attachment to aid studio shots when the camera just could not get far enough away from the subject. I'm planning getting the wide attachment lens for the 200 as well , as I'm sure I will hit the same snag..... would anyone have an opinion on the lens as it seems to be also compatible with several cameras in the range? Do you have to have to enable the lens in the menu as with the 300 and with the lens attached, does the auto focus work throughout the entire zoom range? Does it make much of a difference? I would be really grateful for any feedback on this or even a general opinion on the camera.
Thanks. Steve.

Don Palomaki February 17th, 2015 11:43 AM

re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

The wide angle attachments tend to come in two flavors;; full zoom through (converter) and partial zoom through (adapter). The full zoom through are more expensive and usually compound (i.e., made of more than one piece of glass). The specs for the attachment you are considering should address the question. The Canon WA-HD58 appears to be full zoom-through.

The conversion lens setting is used because the wide angle attachment blocks the external focus sensor (under the lens). The XF200 manual covers this.

Maurice Covington February 20th, 2015 06:12 PM

re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

Why waste money on the XF200 when you can pick up a lightly used XF300 for $3000.00 on Ebay all day?

Steve Grimshaw February 24th, 2015 05:02 PM

Re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

Hi Maurice.What makes the X F 200 a waste of money in your view? Clearly you prefer the 300 and to be honest - I did consider a second 300 although I hadn't thought about the second hand route. Budget is an issue but I just thought the 200 would maintain the broadcast standard, whilst using the same media that I use for my 300 and I thought it would bring something different to the table. I am a bit concerned about matching the two cameras in post but have been following a few threads on this issue elsewherein the forum. Thanks for taking the time to reply and I am genuinely interested in your views before I add to basket. Cheers!

Steve Grimshaw February 27th, 2015 06:43 PM

Re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

Update to the XF200.
Thankyou to Maurice for making me pause before "adding to basket" I started searching for a second hand X F 300 and actually found one worth serious consideration and from the approved dealer I bought the first 300 from. To my complete amazement, on further searching within their site they had Brand new 300's for only £600 more than the pre-owned camera. No hesitation now - a brand new XF300 for £120 more than an XF200 - result! Happy days!