I have CF card reader+fw-to-thunderbolt cable+Retina MBP. Do I need anything else? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 16th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Major Player

I have CF card reader+fw-to-thunderbolt cable+Retina MBP. Do I need anything else?

Hi there,
I'm asking for help before I try to download a (SanDisk Extreme) CF card to my Retina MacBook Pro, because when I tried the same thing two months ago with a Sony SxS card, also attached via Thunderbolt, it caused a system crash and I had to reinstall everything, including my OS.
I haven't used this card reader for a couple years—back then it worked just fine, but it was a different laptop (an older MBP) running a different OS (Mountain Lion I think). I'm now running Yosemite, on a newer MBP.
So... am I safe doing this?
Do I need some Canon software first?
Thanks so much for any advice.
I have a shoot tomorrow and have to either get this card reader working, or I'll have to buy another CF card, which I really don't want to do.
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I have CF card reader+fw-to-thunderbolt cable+Retina MBP. Do I need anything else

Sony SxS and CF card readers are two very different things, especially if you are using a Thunderbolt SxS reader (which I assume is a Sonnet Tech Echo or Qio). CF should work just fine without having to install zero drivers, while SxS requires two different sets for the Thunderbolt readers. I would assume if you had a crash so intense that it wiped out your OS, that you simply installed versions for the wrong OS. I have done SxS Echo Express offloads lots of times with zero issues.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: I have CF card reader+fw-to-thunderbolt cable+Retina MBP. Do I need anything else

Thanks so much, Gary.
As you predicted, I had no problems connecting my CF card reader—that all worked out nicely.
I will make sure to update whatever needs to be updated before trying anything again with my SxS cards.
Best Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders