Recommended Hard drive size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 10th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Tourist

Recommended Hard drive size?

Hello Everyone.

I am looking to buy a pair of hard drives for an upcoming project where I plan on recording an entire 7 hour long concert with two XF-100's plus some random clips with a 3rd XF-100. The settings I plan on using are: 1080p, 50 Mbps CBR and 60p . All cameras will be using SanDisk 128GB & 64GB cards.

Anyone have any suggestions for a hard drive size? I was thinking of getting a pair of 3TB Seagate External drives

A bit of a disclaimer I've never worked with the Xf-100's before

Thanks
John Cardo
John Cardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Recommended Hard drive size?

In general, for hard drive get the fastest, largest you can afford. A pair of 3 GB drives should be ok. But have at least 3x more available video storage space than the raw video you intend to copy to the PC.

Consider a Raid1 configuration, especially if you plan to layer multiple streams on the timeline.

External drives (e.g., USB), while OK for backup and archive, can be slow for video editing, read the spec carefully. High quality drive are not cheap.
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The real questions is how many drives should I buy. Lol.
Old August 14th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Plot the size vs. cost on a chart.
You will see a point where the next size up is a lot more money.
Buy the drive that is at that sweet-spot.
Example: Seagate Backup Drive in Terabytes
2: $99
3: $104
4: $139
5: $159
6: $249

So there is a big-jump in price from 5TB to 6 TB
All things being equal, the 5TB is a good price followed by the 3 TB
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi John..............

Done a lot of investigation on this subject over the years and can pretty well state the following as gospel:

1. Always use the fastest drive interface possible, Sata 3 (600Gb/s) at this point in time.

2. Always, ALWAYS use a Raid 10 array, never just a 0 or 1 (finding bods as can actually configure such arrays with individual drives over 2Tb can be problematic, as can the software modules involved, many are pretty flaky)

3. If using Sata 3 there is no point using drives of less than 7200 rpm and 3Tb, in fact the Hitachi spin off that now markets Hitachi drives DOES NOT even have a Sata 3 interface on their 2Tb or smaller drives.

4. Give Seagate drives the flick, they're statistically the most unreliable on the market (server farms know this stuff) use the drives manufactured by what used to be Hitachi, they're statistically the most reliable, in a Raid 10 of 4 X 3+ Tb drives - you can extrapolate these figures to the moon at will, drive controller allowing.

Note: Most Intel MoBo disc contollers only allow 4 hard drives in any one Raid array although they will allow another two drives not as part of that array. You may need to use a plug in hard drive controller if you wish to exceed this 4 drive figure, alternatively use larger drives, the greater the data density the faster they shift data. Thus a 6Tb drive can stream data to the absolute limit of the Sata 3 bandwidth, smaller drives struggle, which is why Hitachi (as was) offers no Sata 3 on its 2TB and smaller drives, they simply cannot use it.

The Hitachi's (as was) are more expensive, natch, but worth every penny. I've just recently rebuilt my monster PC which was based on Hitachi drives, nearly 10 years to the day from when it was built, lost my first drive last November, another 4 months later - all were raided 10 so no crisis, but heck those things just kept on trucking!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Your storage requirement:

At 50 Mbps, each camera will be generating ~26 GB/hour of media.
Worst Case Total storage = 3 cameras X 26 GB/hour X 7 hours = 546 GB

You could get an SSD capable of holding that and be good to go for your edit.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 12:23 PM   #7
Tourist

Hello Everyone, My apologies for the delay in replying to this Thread.

@ Chris: I seem to have failed to mention that It will be external hard drives I will be purchasing however I do thank you for your advice and I will look into other brands such as Western Digital or HGST.

Of course budget is an issue otherwise I would just get a pair of G-Technology G-Drives

@Bill: Just to clarify, One hour of footage would result in a 26 GB file? Have i understood that correctly?

Thanks for all of your replies and help
John Cardo
Old August 21st, 2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
A pair of 3 GB drives should be ok.
I mean 3 TB

How do you plan to connect the external drives to the PC?
Old August 26th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Tourist

It would be a Laptop and most likely USB 3.0 is the connection I'll be going with
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

If you can afford it, I really recommend that you buy enough cf cards so that you don't have to download and erase,then reuse the cards. 2 128GB cards per camera should do it for your 7-hour show. If you want backup, copy to a 1TB USB3 disk after the first card is full, but reformatting during a live show is just begging for operator error.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cardo View Post
@Bill: Just to clarify, One hour of footage would result in a 26 GB file? Have i understood that correctly?
John Cardo
Yes I know this is an old thread.

The actual calculation is:

( 50 Mbps / 8 ) = 6.25 MB / sec.
6.25 MB / sec. x 3600 seconds / hour = 22.5 GB / hour, so my off the cuff estimation was a little high.
I prefer to be a little high than come up short.

22.5 GB hour x 7 hours x 3 cameras = 472.5 GB

So a ~500 - 512 GB SSD should do it. If you like to have margin for error though, I would consider a 750 GB or 1000 GB class SSD. That would also give you breathing room for future projects.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders