Mini doc filmed 2 years ago on XF100 - I need feedback at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series HD Camcorders
Canon XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old November 1st, 2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mini doc filmed 2 years ago on XF100 - I need feedback

Hey guys,

So 2 years ago I filmed a documentary about myself filming at a film festival in France, using my trusty Canon XF100. I then quickly forgot about the footage because I bought a new camera and wanted to edit with that footage instead of going back to the XF. - Bad planning on my part, but better late than never I guess.

Recently I found I had some spare time on my hands so decided to actually do something with this film, and here is the result. I'd love some feedback! Is it too long? Does it give enough info? What's missing? Is it even interesting?

Disclaimer: I've never spent anytime in front of a camera, so that was a novel experience for me. enjoy!

I planned, wrote, presented, filmed, audio-ed, edited and voiceover-ed the whole piece. In fact the only thing that not me is the music... but I did chose it.

The watermarked clips, while shot by me, were for another company. Thankfully, they've kindly let me use that footage with the watermark.

Please, don't hold anything back.

Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Mini doc filmed 2 years ago on XF100 - I need feedback

Hey Nick, I think it was really, really, well done. Excellent job. I think the shooting, the information you provided, and your performance were right on the money. If there was an award for little documentaries like this I think you'd deserve a nomination and probably the grand prize. I think the idea to mount the GoPro on an arm connected to your main camera was genius. You might have done more of that.

My only minor criticisms are that you should have hid the mic (or at least the cable) while you were driving. And the white balance fluctuated a lot during the early b-roll. But neither really detracts from the overall piece.
I'd hire you.
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow thanks Doug!

Yeah, I was really hapy how that GoPro shot came out, getting some footage on the front lines as it where. I didn't want to turn it into a gimmick and overuse it though, but I guess I can slip a few more shots in there to spice it up a little.

I've been busy since posting this, but I'm actually going to go back to the edit with it next week anyway, trim some of the fat and the more rambling parts, as well as tackle some of those colour issues. I'll be sure to post the updated version when it's ready.

As for the award thing - I was thinking of seeking out some online festivals / shorts competitions to see if I can find anything... who knows. I made this for a fun project, but maybe there's something I can get out of it.

Thanks again for the kind words.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Very well done, Nick. Many thanks for sharing it with us here.

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series HD Camcorders