Wow! This Camera is Great! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
New Boot

Wow! This Camera is Great!

Hi,

I 've been playing with this new XH-A1 and I can't believe how good it is.

Before I settled on this model, I read alot on this forum - it was instrumental in helping me make my decision. Although I work for a television network, filming is not my career, so I am a novice to say the least. This camera is definitely novice friendly. I'll just note some stuff about my initial experience:

1) I downloaded the presets and installed them with the card. That was easy, but when on the run, it's hard to tell if the preset is actually taking effect - because the CP8 - for instance - is on the screen, but I don't see any difference than the next preset. Maybe I don't have it initialized?

2) The AF works fine under a variety of conditions - even in low-light. Great for when starting off. I'm sure with experience one can really pull out the clarity.

3) The low-light performance is excellent! I can't believe it. Even with a previous Canon - it was so grainy. This was by far much clearer. Again with experience I wouldn't be surprised for a super crisp image. The clarity of everything, the colour saturation with lack of noise, just beautiful.

4) The image stabilization really surprised me. I thought - it probably wouldn't do that much. But riding over the tore-up 710 freeway and filming - I had a very smooth clip of film. And I remember thinking how terrible it would look - but I was wrong.

5) By the end of the day, the camera seemed light. using one hand in the side strap, It was easy to maneuver with just a little balance under the body of the camera. This makes it a great camera for "on the run shots."

One question though- I have a UV filter on it, and sometimes the lens reflects on to the filter- which is then filmed and becomes part of the image. Anyway to eliminate this?

Thanks everyone for all of the great info you posted about this camera. Everything about it (so far) works great. I just have to figure about the best PC software for editing & post now.

Thanks again!

Scott
Scott Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Scott, glad you love it!

Frankly, the better (more expensive) the UV filter, the less it reflects (or at least less GLARE) but, I never shoot with a UV filter cause I am purist. I am also likely to damage my lens.

Sigh.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Contributor

I've always used Series 9 Tiffen filters on 2/3" lenses, but for the Canon, for a protective filter, I got a Hoya clear glass thin (3mm) one. It was about $80. Seems totally OK. Hoya makes some cheaper filters too, so I was concerned about this one, but I heard good things about their 3mm line.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replies! I've ordered the Hoya filter - so hopefully that will do the trick!
Scott Becker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders