Freerun Timecode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Freerun Timecode

Hi Guys!Tryed out freerun timecode for multicam shoot.2 A1's.Problem is that on tapes my all in perfect sync,when i use camcorder to look at footage.at the same timecode point i have done flashes and all in perfekt sync.But after capturing with premiere pro 2 clips a out of sync,feels like capturing messing something.Can it be like that?? And if i make little paus between shots example,then timecode jumps forward at this point,camcorder shows it,but when capturing file on to disc it is wit continous timecode.Seems Like premiere starting with one point and rolling then freely til i quit recording.It Dosnt control the timecode on tape just running freely.

Can it be like that,or what i'm doin'g wrong with capturing??Any help a very welcome :)

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #2
Major Player

I cannot help you Raul but I would be interested to know how you get on
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah!

Messing around with 2 cams;).And what i find out!seems that mistake coming to game with HDV compression,footage may be in perfect sync,but in some point have like timejump,missing some frames.etc.and after that,2 clips a out of sync.This jump even hardly to notice just viewing timeline,only scrolling frame by frame gives it out.And of course premiere dosn't report about dropped frames.I tryed same thing recording SD with XH-A1's and freerun timecode.It works perfectly.I don't understand how premiere still captures stuff,even when at some time point some frames a missing,time runs still his own way,and picture must be too same with both cams.

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Major Player

well i know ideally the cameras timecodes would be synced before you start but this can only be done with the A1's big brother the G1.

I think the fields need to match also, not just the frames.
as for the slipping, as i learned here, every clock is slightly different.
but it shouldnt be as noticeable as you say.
and why with only HD?
anybody?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Syncing

Yes,G1 's can be synced,and you must pay enough much for this feature.I synced 2 A1's like Chris Hurd suggest's to do with XL2's.With remote control to switch on freerun timecode on both cameras,even on three if you have.it works well with A1's too.Of course cam's internal cloks not the same,but this mistake is very little.not noticeable.I have done some tests.It works well with SD,as i mentioned before,but seems that Hd is more afraid of dropouts.What is interesting,that on tape next frames after dropout a in ''right place'' ,(otherwise we have here already timetravelling :) )but captured footage have already moved frames from its original timecode location because of the missing frames i guess.

Still messing around with it....
Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders