DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Recording XLR question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/100628-recording-xlr-question.html)

Nathan Quattrini August 5th, 2007 05:35 PM

Recording XLR question

If i have a lav mic recording into channel 1 and a boom into channel 2...when I capture the footage does it capture them on track 1 and 2 of the audio? Or are they mixed together (which would seem to defeat the point of separate channels)

Chuck Fadely August 5th, 2007 09:18 PM

They should be completely separate.... unless you've moved the switch above the xlr input jacks that lets you put one channel into both.

Nathan Quattrini August 5th, 2007 09:41 PM

So in premiere it would capture Audio 1 and Audio 2 with each clip?

Don Palomaki August 6th, 2007 06:59 AM

In general yes, bit how the audio appears in files on your computer will depend on the specifics of your capture software drivers and settings.

Some systems can capture the audio as two separate .WAV files, one for the left channel and one for the right channel, others may imbed it in an file with the video, or something in between.

David W. Lewis August 6th, 2007 04:59 PM

Additional Questions

I have a similar setup for weddings:
Channel 1: External cardioid (phantom power)
Channel 2: Lavalier Mic
Is each channel a separate stereo audio track? How can I import them that way into PP2.0? Currently, while previewing the log & capture, I get the shotgun in my left headphone and the lavalier in my right--unless I flipped the Channel 1 / Channel 1/2 switch to the second (1/2) position while recording...this sends the shotgun signal to both channel 1 & 2, and I can hear it in both headphones.
For my purposes, it would be better to have the stereo signal from each mic split and recorded on the appropriate left / right channel as a mixed signal. Can I achieve this by changing the "Audio Monitor Set" value to 'MIX/FIXED' or 'MIXED/VAR' while leaving the "SEL AUDIO CH" on 'CH 1/3 / CH 2/4'? (page 100, Factory Manual)

Many Thanks,
David

Chris Hurd August 6th, 2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Lewis (Post 724479)
it would be better to have the stereo signal from each mic split and recorded on the appropriate left / right channel as a mixed signal.

Umm, David... pretty sure those are *mono* mics you're using. If the mic has only one XLR connection, then it's a monophonic microphone. If it had two XLR connectors, only then is it a stereo mic (they're not all that common though). I'll bet your mics are mono. At any rate, each of the two XLR inputs on the Canon XL / XH camcorders is its own dedicated monophonic channel. Hope this helps,

Don Palomaki August 7th, 2007 06:42 AM

David. Stereo mics are usually clearly identifiable as such, and the number of models is limited. In general, if it has a single XLR connector, and the connector has 3 pins, it is mono. The stereo XLR mics typically have 5 pins in the XLR connector, or have two 3-pin connectors. Some stereo mics use a 3-conductor mini-phone connector, and they are unbalanced output. Best way to know for sure is look up the mic model number.

Each channel is a separate audio track, although I'm not sure what the channel separation is. However, if one channel input is overloaded and going into clipping, that may spatter a bit into the other channel. Also, be aware that when using AGC, the gains of the channels are linked and controlled by the louder input.

For most applications, the best way to mix the signals from the mics in in post. That way you have absolute control over the mix and levels.

I believe that the page 100 audio options refer to analog audio output.

Piotr Wozniacki August 7th, 2007 07:15 AM

I think the two audio channels are always captured and stored separately by an NLE. Whether it's *output* separately, or mixed as stereo, multichannel etc. depends on your NLE project output, rather than input, settings.

With Vegas for instance, in "Render as..." Audio properties, you can decide between Stereo or Dual Channels mode. Choosing the latter will maintain 100% channel separation.

Regarding the mics, I can wholeheartedly recommend the stereo shotgun by Edirol, model CS-50. It has the WIDE and FOCUS mode settings, and a 5-pin female output - so a 5-pin male to 2x3pin male cable must be used to feed the two camera's female inputs.

Chuck Fadely August 7th, 2007 07:29 PM

In general, your NLE will import two separate mono tracks which may or may not be "panned" to the center. You can set your audio tracks on or off, up or down, or panned left or right as you choose while you edit.

If you have your NLE set to pan the tracks to center, you'll hear both your lav and your shotgun equally in both ears. You need to turn one (usally the shotgun) down in editing.