DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Latest Heinz Contest Entry (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/100677-latest-heinz-contest-entry.html)

John Lofton IV August 6th, 2007 10:54 AM

Latest Heinz Contest Entry

Hey Guys,

Here's my entry to the Heinz Top This TV Challenge titled, "Fry Guys"

Shot in 60i, transcoded in Avid Xpress Pro HD, all effects done in After Effects, color corrected in Avid.

Also, I'm working on some YouTube 'back-story' videos to go along with it.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.loftonfilms.com/Heinz.html

Charles Papert August 6th, 2007 11:52 AM

Great job John! Very surprising! Fun concept.

I'm wrestling with the upload on my own entry at the moment. I shot 16:9 (also on A1) but framed for 4:3 and will submit that version--advertisers are still squirrely about 16:9 letterbox.

Chris Barcellos August 6th, 2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 724304)

I'm wrestling with the upload on my own entry at the moment. I shot 16:9 (also on A1) but framed for 4:3 and will submit that version--advertisers are still squirrely about 16:9 letterbox.

Charles:

I tried to upload from a 1080i .wmv file, and their transcoder does not appear to want to crop it. Have had this issue before. Finally opend a 4:3 SD time line on Vegas, imported my Cineform original there, and it automatically cropped it in, with the bars top and bottom.

Scott Saracen August 6th, 2007 12:40 PM

John,
Fantastic job! Very professional.

John Lofton IV August 6th, 2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 724304)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Saracen (Post 724335)
John,
Fantastic job! Very professional.

Thanks so much! It's hard to believe how much hard work actually goes into a 30 second commercial... NOW I KNOW!

Jerrod Cordell August 6th, 2007 12:49 PM

Good job man! Really funny. I did see a few interlaced problems, but other than that I thought it was great. Good job man.

lol, I love how in the last week of this contest there's a ton of those videos coming up and they're all really good.

Jerrod Cordell August 6th, 2007 12:50 PM

Oh and check out mine and let me know what you think. XD

I'm such a whore. lol.

John Lofton IV August 6th, 2007 10:20 PM

Well it's past midnight...

Anybody else having trouble seeing their video on Heinz' Top This TV Channel on YouTube?

Well, that aside, I hope everyone had a great time working on their projects!

Good luck to all!

Charles Papert August 6th, 2007 10:52 PM

I read on their message board that the videos on the site were dated a good 5 days ago--obviously they have been flooded and are backlogged in reviewing them and putting them up on the site.

I'm willing to guess that at another 1000 will be added to the current count by the time all is said and done.

Charles Papert August 6th, 2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrod Cordell (Post 724341)
Oh and check out mine and let me know what you think. XD

I'm such a whore. lol.

Why would you be a whore, Jerrod? It's not like you posted a link to your thread!

oh, gee, whoopsie...

Charles Papert August 6th, 2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Lofton IV (Post 724337)
Thanks so much! It's hard to believe how much hard work actually goes into a 30 second commercial... NOW I KNOW!

Well, I knew it but it still didn't prepare me for the 4 solid days of postproduction I put in on mine.

And guess what, we didn't have to deal with the approval process and inevitable rounds and rounds of revisions that happens in the "real" world...

"can you make the red in the bottle a little bit more red? Not like RED red, just a bit more--red"

Doug Davis August 7th, 2007 09:05 AM

Great video... I think it's the best one I have seens so far... What was your lighting set up? Anything special?

John Lofton IV August 7th, 2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 724656)
Well, I knew it but it still didn't prepare me for the 4 solid days of postproduction I put in on mine.

And guess what, we didn't have to deal with the approval process and inevitable rounds and rounds of revisions that happens in the "real" world...

"can you make the red in the bottle a little bit more red? Not like RED red, just a bit more--red"

Haha, that's SO TRUE Charles! Don't you hate those vague, meaningless client suggestions?

Anyway, just watched your video and I loved it! Great editing and cinematography. Also, where'd you get those generic ketchup packets, they were perfect!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Davis (Post 724826)
Great video... I think it's the best one I have seens so far... What was your lighting set up? Anything special?

Thanks, Doug!

For my lighting I used a 3 point lighting setup with 3 basic photography lights and some diffusion material. Whenever the shot was backlit by the sun, naturally, I just got rid of the backlight. I think the most important part of my lighting was my LiteDisc diffuser... Gotta love that look.

I'll post some behind the scenes pictures up here soon. The pictures of the guys in costume are pretty hilarious.