DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Focus and zoom rings makes "oil noise" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/100723-focus-zoom-rings-makes-oil-noise.html)

Mats Frendahl August 6th, 2007 05:44 PM

Focus and zoom rings makes "oil noise"

Hi,

When gently moving the focus and zoom rings in axial direction (not turning) there is a small "oil noise", eh, difficult to explain..., like walking around in wet shoes. Tiny, tiny "liquid sound". The aperature ring is rock-solid and does not make a sound.

Anyone experienced the same with his/hers A1?

Regards
Mats

Chris Hurd August 6th, 2007 05:46 PM

I just put my ear up to mine and yes, it's there. Most likely it's just the lubrication inside those bearings. Nothing to worry about. File under "perfectly normal."

Steven Taylor August 6th, 2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats Frendahl (Post 724515)
Hi,

When gently moving the focus and zoom rings in axial direction

you mean.. a motion like taking a ring off a finger? that axis?..

Mats Frendahl August 6th, 2007 07:50 PM

Yes, "along" the lense.
Chris hade the same so I guess it's ok.

Alan Craig August 7th, 2007 11:14 AM

I think mine must be broke cause I cant hear a thing from mine. Maybe they forgot to oil them on the production line.

Mats Frendahl August 7th, 2007 11:56 AM

OK, so now it's 2:1. Hmmm. Either Chris and I have two with too much oil making a "sound" (and your's perfect), or the lubrication sound is OK. Hmm... We need more responses before we can tell.
Unless you hear some scratching metalic sound and start getting threads of metal sticking out... and uneven jagged twist I would not bother. I'd prefer mine silent as yours. My aperature ring is silent - only zoom and focus makes a "noise". Don't now if it relates that these two can be controlled electronically, and the aperature not - could be different constructions of "mechanics" but I'm not sure. I might give Canon a call tomorrow to see what they say its normal, if they can answer on it.

Not that it relates much to how the A1 is built/constructed, I once had Minolta optics (SLR) where it leaked out oil on the aperature blades.

Eric Weiss August 7th, 2007 01:12 PM

mine's pretty squishy. i like it.
it sounds "professional."

Ger Griffin August 7th, 2007 02:05 PM

mine is the opposite. its one of the first things i noticed about it.
the zoom ring is kinda dry. especially on the tele side. it even kinda clonks a little. now i mean a tiny bit. i chose to pretend it wasnt there in the hope it would go away and now here ye go- dragging it back up into the forefront of my mind. thanks guys. really. thanks.

Bill Watson August 7th, 2007 03:14 PM

Can't hear any noise from my rings but now that you've got me started, my rotary switch makes a 'cleck' noise when I select modes.

Not a 'click' or a 'clack', but a 'cleck'.

Does that sound right or should I be worried?

Or maybe it's a South African model?

Mats Frendahl August 7th, 2007 03:29 PM

Prob. a "South African model" - the oposite of Sweden... (yepp, I know the anti-pole to SE is NZ, but SA is "straight down"...) ;)

Can't say I have noticed any "worring" sound on mine regarding the rotary switch. It behaves well, so far. It has a nice and firm "tick" feeling stopping at every icon firmly and exact.

In general I think - for the money - Canon should "shape up" regarding certain quality issues Their SLR are much better built than this cam regarding buttons, dials etc. IIRC my Custom Presets are a bit plastic and makes a cheap impression when pressed. And I think it "wobbles" a bit too. The HML gain selector must however been bought from a real subcontracter 'cause this is rock-solid. And... some things seems to be a "dicease" for *all* cam brands - the very cheap plastic lid covering I/O.

Car manufact's spend a lot of money just targeting how the door should sound when closed or when the glover compartment is closed and the various buttons. Time for Canon to employ an audio/touch-and-feel designer? Since they make hugh profits every year I think there is room for it.