Focus and zoom rings makes "oil noise" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Focus and zoom rings makes "oil noise"

Hi,

When gently moving the focus and zoom rings in axial direction (not turning) there is a small "oil noise", eh, difficult to explain..., like walking around in wet shoes. Tiny, tiny "liquid sound". The aperature ring is rock-solid and does not make a sound.

Anyone experienced the same with his/hers A1?

Regards
Mats
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I just put my ear up to mine and yes, it's there. Most likely it's just the lubrication inside those bearings. Nothing to worry about. File under "perfectly normal."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Frendahl View Post
Hi,

When gently moving the focus and zoom rings in axial direction
you mean.. a motion like taking a ring off a finger? that axis?..
Steven Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, "along" the lense.
Chris hade the same so I guess it's ok.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think mine must be broke cause I cant hear a thing from mine. Maybe they forgot to oil them on the production line.
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

OK, so now it's 2:1. Hmmm. Either Chris and I have two with too much oil making a "sound" (and your's perfect), or the lubrication sound is OK. Hmm... We need more responses before we can tell.
Unless you hear some scratching metalic sound and start getting threads of metal sticking out... and uneven jagged twist I would not bother. I'd prefer mine silent as yours. My aperature ring is silent - only zoom and focus makes a "noise". Don't now if it relates that these two can be controlled electronically, and the aperature not - could be different constructions of "mechanics" but I'm not sure. I might give Canon a call tomorrow to see what they say its normal, if they can answer on it.

Not that it relates much to how the A1 is built/constructed, I once had Minolta optics (SLR) where it leaked out oil on the aperature blades.
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Major Player

mine's pretty squishy. i like it.
it sounds "professional."
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Major Player

mine is the opposite. its one of the first things i noticed about it.
the zoom ring is kinda dry. especially on the tele side. it even kinda clonks a little. now i mean a tiny bit. i chose to pretend it wasnt there in the hope it would go away and now here ye go- dragging it back up into the forefront of my mind. thanks guys. really. thanks.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Can't hear any noise from my rings but now that you've got me started, my rotary switch makes a 'cleck' noise when I select modes.

Not a 'click' or a 'clack', but a 'cleck'.

Does that sound right or should I be worried?

Or maybe it's a South African model?
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Prob. a "South African model" - the oposite of Sweden... (yepp, I know the anti-pole to SE is NZ, but SA is "straight down"...) ;)

Can't say I have noticed any "worring" sound on mine regarding the rotary switch. It behaves well, so far. It has a nice and firm "tick" feeling stopping at every icon firmly and exact.

In general I think - for the money - Canon should "shape up" regarding certain quality issues Their SLR are much better built than this cam regarding buttons, dials etc. IIRC my Custom Presets are a bit plastic and makes a cheap impression when pressed. And I think it "wobbles" a bit too. The HML gain selector must however been bought from a real subcontracter 'cause this is rock-solid. And... some things seems to be a "dicease" for *all* cam brands - the very cheap plastic lid covering I/O.

Car manufact's spend a lot of money just targeting how the door should sound when closed or when the glover compartment is closed and the various buttons. Time for Canon to employ an audio/touch-and-feel designer? Since they make hugh profits every year I think there is room for it.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders