First Video Attempt at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 7th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Major Player

First Video Attempt

I recently bought an XHA1 and gave my self a project that I hope to eventually benefit my business (make a few "marketing" videos and post them on our website).

This the very first time I've attempted anything like this. Very first time attempting "lighting" as well (I did work for a production house (we made advertisement movies) many years ago for a couple of years and learnt a hack of a lot and gor hooked onto Photography and Videogrpahy ever since).

http://thehomefront.dynamicarchitect...deoPlayer.html

The link takes you to a html page that embed a FLASH video player (the video plays automatically).

The video with shot in HD1080 30f mode. I've used PP CS3 to piece things together. No color correction applied (the video look different on literally every monitor in house).

All videos with any human has been shot by me using the A1.

The aim to to use a Chroma key eventually to use a different background (simulate a great looking office is very soft focus).

I'd love to hear your opinion/critisim on the video, composition, lighting etc. and anything else you might care to critisize.
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Lighting didn't look bad but the back light seemed a little bit hot... It may have just been her hair but sometime you have to compensate for that...

Overall doesn't look bad... I couldn't tell what the screen grabs of video were for because they were just a tad too small...

Some b-roll of builders building houses pasted in between may really help spice things up... Also you could add some lower thirds information so we know who is talking to us...

Looks like it has a lot of potential...
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Doug,

Thank you for your comments!

I agree with all your comments.

The "fill" fottage is temporary in that I don't have the appropriate footage yet, so I've placed some stuff I have so I can get a sense of the final result.

On lighting:

I'm really looking for a softer/warmer look. I don't have a softbox but was wondering if a softbox will produce the effect I'm looking for. I've read about something called a beauty dish and was wondering if I should go for that instead of a softbox.
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Major Player

You could always just clip some diffusion on the light to make it softer... If you don't have any you can use wax paper but be careful, it can melt or become hazardous... Then there is also the option of using a bounce card or even bounce the light off the ceiling or a wall depending on the lights you are using and their power...

Not sure what your budget is or what is available but you can use those china balls (less that $20) from home depot or lowes.... They work surprisingly well as a key or fill depending on their distance from the subject...
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Major Player

China ball. Yes I've heard of people using them. My question is, what bulb goes in there?

The real intent is to use a green screen (only because I want to be able to simulate a shallow DOF and have a background that is in very soft focus). An uncontrollable light source might make that difficult no?
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
China ball. Yes I've heard of people using them. My question is, what bulb goes in there?
Any normal +100w bulb should do the trick... Just make sure it's not an off color light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
The real intent is to use a green screen (only because I want to be able to simulate a shallow DOF and have a background that is in very soft focus). An uncontrollable light source might make that difficult no?
To simulate a shallow depth of field I would not recommend do a chroma key... It would probably look a little strange simply because there will be an image in focus that is your subject and then something blurry in the background...

Check out some of these videos:
http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/seg...searchid=28197

Very helpful in understanding depth of field...
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Doug,

Thanks for the links!

Yes, I do know about the different techniques in achieving depth of field. (besides the -3db trick mean makes sense).

I'm working in a confined space for one (so the distance of the subject from the camera is only about 25 feet but then there is hardly any space between her and the background.

It so happens that I did try the green screen this evening and that's a no go since I can't seem to get the edges to not glow and the fine hair get lost as well. I'm using Premiere Pro CS3.

So Now I'm looking at faking the background (since the subject is to one side of the frame) using images and videos (simulating a screen saver on a computer screen at a prespective and out of focus. My initial tests look quite promising (I think).

Can I use a compact florescent for the lantern (in terms of color temperature)?
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders