Can someone please post Zoom examples? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Can someone please post Zoom examples?

I'm reeeeaaallly considering buying the A1. One thing that really concerns me is that they say it has poor zoom. I was wondering if someone who loves using their A1 would be so kind to upload some footage of:

Using the ring, and showing whether or not it's "sluggish" (as I have read).

Using the rocker on it's variable speeds (1, 8, and 16 would be more than kind)

I like doing zoom-ins like The Office, quick, snappy, then back out.

Please please please take a couple of minutes to do this favor for a fellow DV Member.

Thanks a million
-Brendan
Brendan Bercik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

the zoom sucks compared to my old DVX. But I never zoom so it wasn't an issue for me. But you can do crash zooms, just have to time it right.

The zoom is very delayed, but everything is on the LCD.
Lloyd Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #3
New Boot

So I'd have to set it to a high speed, and then hit the rocker a little earlier than I want the zoom?
Old August 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

In the Custom Function menu there's an option to enable this camera's Quick Zoom feature, which lets you do a snap zoom with the zoom ring. Rather than ask somebody to take the time to shoot and upload some examples, why not go to a dealer and get your hands on one so you can try before you buy?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #5
New Boot

I've been back and forth between the HVX and the A1, and I'm looking for a dealer who has them that isn't an hour away :( Boo Connecticut.
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

What Dealer?

I too would like to see zoom examples. I would love to be able to go to a dealer to see the XH-A1, but I have not been able to find a dealer anywhere nearby. I found one at an electronics store that is about 80 miles away; I called them, it is in a sealed box which they are not willing to open. They don't have one on display. I wish NYC was within range, I would go to someone like B & H. I wanted to compare it to a Sony V1U. I did find a refurbished FX7 at a Sony outlet store about an hour away and went to look at it (interesting note: they were asking about $400 more than a new FX7 costs from B & H, or Adorama).
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Bercik View Post
One thing that really concerns me is that they say it has poor zoom.
The only thing poor about the zoom on the A1 is the poor work by someone who doesn't take the time to learn and practice with it.

The A1 is a fantastic camera with incredible versatility and quality/price performance. However if you think you're going to take one right out of the box and shoot a network sitcom, you're not. If you get one a month or so before you need it and practice with it to figure out what settings and techniques to use to achieve results you like, you'll be much happier.

Also, just because you see something done with a piece of equipment doesn't mean by acquiring the same equipment you'll automatically be able to do it. Practice, practice, practice.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders