DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Which BNC cable from XH A1 to monitor to buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/100797-bnc-cable-xh-a1-monitor-buy.html)

Mats Frendahl August 7th, 2007 02:08 PM

Which BNC cable from XH A1 to monitor to buy?

Hi,
Any suggestion of good brand for BNC cable to go between XH A1 and monitor JVC TMH-150CGU. Belkin?

Bill Pryor August 7th, 2007 03:08 PM

They're all about the same. Get an extra one because all BNC connectors will eventually die.

Mats Frendahl August 7th, 2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 724989)
They're all about the same. Get an extra one because all BNC connectors will eventually die.

Die in what sence? The ends or does the cable not stand for "damage" like people walking over them?

Bill Pryor August 7th, 2007 03:43 PM

People yank on the connectors, pull on them before twisting them all the way unlocked, etc., and eventually the connectors will come apart. If you're just using a short one to a camera-mounted monitor this probably won't be an issue, but if you do long run cables on location, they get abused, just like audio cables.

Bill Busby August 7th, 2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats Frendahl (Post 724965)
Hi,
Any suggestion of good brand for BNC cable to go between XH A1 and monitor JVC TMH-150CGU. Belkin?

Mats... How's the image quality with that monitor in general? Also do you have the optional component card installed? If so, is there much of a difference? I ask because the monitor is only rated at 750 lines. Just curious.

Bill

Mats Frendahl August 7th, 2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 725104)
Mats... How's the image quality with that monitor in general? Also do you have the optional component card installed? If so, is there much of a difference? I ask because the monitor is only rated at 750 lines. Just curious.

Bill

Bill, any other monitor to recommend that is better?

Bill Busby August 7th, 2007 11:44 PM

Mats, I'm sure there are plenty that are "better", but I don't even know the JVC monitor you mentioned. That's why I asked a few questions earlier out of curiosity. Anyway you could answer those? :D

Bill

Mats Frendahl August 8th, 2007 02:00 AM

Bill, I asked around about the Ikegami that I have seen "in the field" (they are about +200 USD compared to the JVC). Comments were made that "Ikegami is overpriced, look at JVC instead" - so I did. I have not seen the JVC in real life. Perhaps just better to stick with Ikegami?

David W. Jones August 8th, 2007 06:45 AM

Just something to remember, you are shooting with an HD camera,
and the monitor you are looking at is SD.

Mats Frendahl August 8th, 2007 07:04 AM

Yes, good point.
HD monitors are however in another price range...
I'm only to use it as (remote) focus, zoom, white balance and "framing" monitor while "on field" recording. Will such a SD monitor work?
For real colour monitoring etc. I guess one would need another setup...

David Warren August 8th, 2007 07:13 AM

this has actually come up for a shoot we're planning.. what would be better to use on a HD monitor.. the bnc or the component?

Will Griffith August 8th, 2007 07:25 AM

>>what would be better to use on a HD monitor.. the bnc or the component?

The only way to monitor HD is through the Component out. The single
BNC on the side is composite video only.