DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Is it possible to clean the focus / zoom ring of sand? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/101233-possible-clean-focus-zoom-ring-sand.html)

Matt Crane August 13th, 2007 10:44 AM

Is it possible to clean the focus / zoom ring of sand?

I must have acquired some sand in the Focus Ring on my A1 over the summer. I was filming a wedding over the weekend and could feel a very very mild "grinding" compared to my zoom and aperture rings, which were fine.

Is it possible to clean myself? Or get it serviced?

If service, should I send it back to Canon? Any estimate on cost?

Mats Frendahl August 13th, 2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Crane (Post 728192)
I must have acquired some sand in the Focus Ring on my A1 over the summer. I was filming a wedding over the weekend and could feel a very very mild "grinding" compared to my zoom and aperture rings, which were fine.

Is it possible to clean myself? Or get it serviced?

If service, should I send it back to Canon? Any estimate on cost?

So the A1 is not sealed... I thought Canon did this for their L lenses - as they use to write a lot of.

Don't think you should do it yourself. Authorized service recommended.

I'd send it to Canon authorized service only.

Prob. some 100 USD/hour fee. Don't know what's involved - perhaps just cleaning and oil, but one never knows.

Nathan Quattrini August 13th, 2007 03:31 PM

I asked about this awhile back, never got an answer...not sure if its just how the ring is or not...I wasn`t in a dirty place when it started and it comes and goes so I`m not sure what a gritty feel means. Mine is only the Aperture ring.

Gert Kracht August 13th, 2007 03:36 PM

If there is a service point in your neighbourhood, go to them and let them check it. Maybe you are lucky, otherwise they will have to keep it to clean it inside. I would not take the risk to take it appart for that problem. You could end up with bigger problems than you started with.

Mats Frendahl August 13th, 2007 04:14 PM

I see from posts that Canon even in camcorder dept. have manufact. variations. I only thought it was in the SLR L-lense dept. as they vary a lot coming from the factory. Some models of the SLR lenses you are recommended to take to "tuning" directly from the shop.

Speaking of "odd behaviour" of the A1, when turned off, do you experience more "rattle noise" from the lense than turned on. As you turn it off the lense "package" seem to go to park itsel at a "default" position in the lense. Perhaps this is a "secure" position as hard drives heads do and this position relaxes some levers, springs and anything else controlled by electrics and hence rattle more. Anyone else having this too?

Since many of the controls for XLR, lighting and other tiny buttons are pretty plastic and inaccurate I have to use all my ten fingers to hold them in place - otherwise its like a rattle snake when slightly shook or turned. It would not be to ask too much of Canon to have perfect and smooth buttons... There is no rattling on the Canon SLR bodies, also packed with buttons...