Man I love this cam (A1) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Man I love this cam (A1)

I sought advice through this forum when looking for a decent camera to do interviews, and eventually purchased the A1. I used it for the first time last week and was blown away by it.

The picture quality is outstanding. I used to own an XL1S and eventually sold it in disgust because I was so disappointed in the quality of the picture - but this cam is a whole new ball of wax.

For these particular interviews, I used manual settings all the way and adjusted the white balance to warm the picture up a little, which leads me to my one and only gripe - the LCD screen is totally unreliable as a reference for picture quality (warmth, brightness etc...) and it is way brighter than the eventual image.

Fortunately I only ever rely on a properly calibrated monitor for such shoots and took along a SONY 13" monitor (the one from my edit suite) and connected it using the component connection. Thus, I was able to produce exactly the color balance I wanted.

I used a decent high quality lav mic and found the quality of the audio to be perfect.

By the way...I recorded in standard definition (16:9) which is perfectly adequate for what I wanted. In fact the quality of the image from this camera is equally as good as a Sony Betacam system I rented about a year ago for the same project.

Great job Canon...really great value for money.
Ron Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Contributor

You can go into the menu and adjust the LCD brightness down. Pop up your bars to do so. Still, it's not reliable and no LCD should be used to judge exposure or color.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders