DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A1 auto (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/101361-a1-auto.html)

Jeff Harper August 15th, 2007 12:31 AM

A1 auto

With proper use of the presets, can the A1 be used in auto mode (weddings)?

I currently use PD170 and VX2100, and normally only use manual during ceremony when camera can't focus itself due to lighting or other extenuating circumstances.

I always set white balance and use iris adjustment to compensate for backlit situations, but otherwise I tend to stay in auto.

I want to order the A1 but am frankly concerned about the need to go all manual and losing my ability to get spontaneous shots or being tied up in the menu all the time and not being able to concentrate on getting shots.

Any thoughts?

Michael Wisniewski August 15th, 2007 01:32 AM

Yes, presets can be used effectively with the semi-automatic modes: P, Tv, Av. In addition, Autofocus, White Balance, & Gain all have their own switches to make them manual or automatic. There is a fully automatic mode, but it completely disables all but the most basic camera function.

Jeff Harper August 15th, 2007 07:46 AM

Thanks. There really is no other camera out there for the money, I'm just apprehensive.

There is also the jumping from Sony to Canon thing...but I cannot see spending more on a sony who's image that isn't as good (Z1 and H1) And 1/4" cmos of the FX7 just doesn't appeal to me. Sony is great, I'll always love 'em, but this cam appears to be it for me now.

Mats Frendahl August 15th, 2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 729273)
There is also the jumping from Sony to Canon thing...but I cannot see spending more on a sony who's image that isn't as good (Z1 and H1) And 1/4" cmos of the FX7 just doesn't appeal to me. Sony is great, I'll always love 'em, but this cam appears to be it for me now.

I tested the Sony FX1 once and it was really good. Today I have the XHA1. Great piece. However, the Auto Focus I would stay away from at weddings. Take it to Manual and you'll be amazed at what it can do. It's not that difficult, you only need basic camera skill to understand what's going on and some days testing, then you are ready. The autofocus I find to "wild", hunting and missing. Select an aperature and focal length that gives you a good DOP and framing. Don't forget the amazing gain function too, to "boost" the image (but don't set it to high). Unless the wedding is in the Bat-cave I see no problem.

If you worry about out of focus sections at a wedding - just overlap with some interior footage - no-one wants to see the couple all the time. Reframe and refocus and show some stock footage of visitors meanwhile in post-edit. There's lots of "dirty" tricks that the viewer will never understand and see as "beautiful composition" or "genius artwork" instead of "that cameran can't focus..." ;)

Besides, in Manual, and you want autofocus, just press the focus button and the A1 will assist you.