Bag poll:What exactly do you use and how at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Bag poll:What exactly do you use and how

much did it cost?

In about a week or two I'll finally get one and was curious what everyone is using that's moderately priced.A non-hardshell solution is preferred... something with sufficient padding and size.The A1 will only occasionally be tranported to church and back..otherwise it stays home so it doesn't have to be rock solid durable.

Any reccomendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Porta Brace

Porta-Brace - Model: CS-DV4U Mini-DV Camera Case

This is the soft carrying-case I purchased and it works great! Very well padded and with enough room for even the Canon wide angle lens and several other accessories.

Look here http://www.portabrace.com/productA-CS-DV4U

There are many others such as the Petrol PCUB-1N U-Bag 1 Camcorder Bag with PRC-HDV (will fit Canon XH, the Sony HDR-FX1 or HVR-Z1 or similar size camcorders with accessories). If you do a search, you will find several threads on this subject...
Armando Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the Kata CC-193 Shoulder Case ($130).
For the price it's a fantastic bag. No complaints.
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Tourist

I use a lowepro bag in England it cost about £170 so in America I guess it's between $80-$100. In england at least Lowepro are giving back 30% on all bags purchased.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shou...act_AW_DV.aspx
Maan Mansour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Tourist

By the way the Lowepro is an excellent bag - lots of padding, it's just what kind of bag you think you will need. When I bought the camera I had no idea how expensive the bags would be, but I guess for the price of the camera it is worth getting something decent.
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I also use the Kata CC-193 since it came with the package from B&H. It works well for me.

Here's the arrangement with a Canon XH A1...
Attached Thumbnails
Bag poll:What exactly do you use and how-img_1787.jpg   Bag poll:What exactly do you use and how-img_1788.jpg  

Old August 16th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #7
Wrangler

Kata CC-193. Is it perfect? Not quite, but it may be about as good as it gets anywhere near the price point.
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I needed something that didn't look like a camera bag, was easy and comfortable to carry, and, of course, protected the camera well.

Went for this-

Crumpler Zoomiverse (great name)

http://chipchick.com/wp-content/uplo...bagsphotos.jpg

Fits the camera, hood, couple of tapes, batteries, charger, filters and documents. I won't lie, there is hardly any space with all that in, but it's very well protected. Cost me £100. Best of all it looks like an ordinary rucksack- great for trains and cities etc
Joe Rizzo-Naudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #9
Contributor

I got the Petrol PCUB-1N for the XH A1, although I've used Portabrace for years for other camaras and gear. I like the Petrol because it has a hard bottom and little feet that keep the bag slightly elevated. It comes with a lot of velcro'd pieces I took out, leaving in the U-shaped part to keep the camera from sliding. There's also a velcro strap you can wrap around the camera that might be good if you travel on airplanes and need to lay the bag on its side in an overhead compartment, but I don't normally use it. Lots of room in the side pockets for batteries, tapes, wireless mic, power supply, etc.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Kata CC-193 here too, works just fine for me. :)
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maan Mansour View Post
I use a lowepro bag in England it cost about £170 so in America I guess it's between $80-$100. In england at least Lowepro are giving back 30% on all bags purchased.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shou...act_AW_DV.aspx
Having just returned from London, that would be closer to $350.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #12
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Having just returned from London, that would be closer to $350.
Sorry Jack you are totally right I got my figures wrong - im used to working dollers into pounds so i got it back to front - pardon the mistake
I guess it's a very expensive bag then!!
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #13
Wrangler

Some folks have recommended using a diaper bag. Not as likely to be stolen by the casual passerby as an obvious video camera bag.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Wrangler

Samsonite / North Face

I'm using a Samsonite backpack/rollerbag combo. Depending on how I'm dressed I can look like a student/beach bum or a travelling businessman. For more serious outdoor treks, I outfitted a North Face snowboarding backpack with nice thick hip straps.

I highly recommend getting a rollerbag, it's so much more efficient, and saves your energy for shooting (do I sound like an old geezer now?). But a good backpack/rollerbag combo, is nearly the perfect bag for taking almost anywhere.
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks to all who participated in this poll

and it gave me some very good options to consider.

Right now I have the reccomemded Kata bag made to accomodate the GL-2 but doubt it will be big enough for the A1.

Again,this was very helpfull!

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders