LCD is all I got at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #1
New Boot

Viewfinder on camera is all I got

Hey folks, I am very new to the video business. I just bought an A1 which I love! Only problem is, I can't buy a field moniter quite yet. From what I gather, the moniter is not the best way to judge color or contrast.

I used it yesterday with my family and noticed it was a little milky and noisy, I saw during the shots there where split seconds where it I would be fiddeling with it and the picture was sweet. So obviously I can achieve what I want from the A1. My suspicion is that the moniter isn't quite accurate.

So can someone help me...

If I only have the LCD for a field moniter for right now, how can I best set the LCD for the naked eye to achieve the best results?

Last edited by Andrew Galves; August 19th, 2007 at 11:18 AM.
Andrew Galves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Major Player

out of the box, my lcd was way off. against my monitors, the vf was nearly perfect. i've got a decent setup now but i still use my vf for exposure and color cast then use the lcd for monitor and focus. with the magnify option, i see no use for a field monitor with this cam.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #3
New Boot

Vf

What set up did you use for your VF on the camera?
Andrew Galves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Major Player

from what i've been reading, people have different thoughts in regard to the setups. i don't know if it's personal opinions or if the cams leave the factory slightly different. for me, the lcd was too bright and under saturated so my footage turned out dark and colorful. my vf matched what i thought i had shot perfectly.

you are better off running a line out to a tv/monitor and doing your own tests and setups for the look that you want to consistantly achieve.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
you are better off running a line out to a tv/monitor and doing your own tests and setups for the look that you want to consistantly achieve.
Anyone using the JVC TMH-150CGU with component RGB (additional option to the monitor) with the A1?

(I've understood that the composite is no good other than possibly framing/focus/iris.)
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #6
New Boot

My advice is to compare the image on the VF/LCD with the one you get on a well calibrated monitor/Tv and then use your VF for correct exposition and your LCD for focus and monitoring. For exposing correctly through your VF only concentrate on luminance change, when it changes you are done.
To calibrate correctly your monitor/Tv feed your monitor/Tv with color bars type2 of your A1 and follow the instructions you can get at www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm
Jose Ramada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

LCD brightness

Isn't there a way to adjust the LCD brightness? I used my A1 for a wedding and while I relied on the LCD, the picture was a little darker than expected.
However the LCD is convenient since the eye piece for the VF is awful.

Jim
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

You want to be careful with the lcd brightness in the camcorder. making the lcd too bright will cause you to underexpose because you will think that you have enough light and its simply just pushing the light though the lcd. I hear it best to keep the lcd brightness right in the middle.
Brent Goodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

LCD too bright

Well, I ran the signal through a monitor and while it looked ok on the LCD it was too dark on the monitor. Adjusting for the monitor the LCD was too bright, so I have to adjust it so it matches. Something I should have done before I shot the wedding.
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

never use the LCD on any camera to judge correct exposure and color. Always use the viewfinder to set up the shot. Then use the LCD to frame the shot when you are shooting so you dont have to have your head at the camera looking into the VF. I wouldnt even trust an external monitor. Those things lose their calibrations really easily.
Wes Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM   #11
New Boot

I agree completely. LCD is only good for framing and focusing. If color is problematic in the VF, set it to B+W and concentrate on luminance change. This is the way the professionals shoot. I already had a Sony DVCam DSR 350 and the VF was only B+W. A1 doesn`t need an external monitor. You will waist your energy and your money with such extras .
Jose Ramada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Ramada View Post
My advice is to compare the image on the VF/LCD with the one you get on a well calibrated monitor/Tv and then use your VF for correct exposition and your LCD for focus and monitoring. For exposing correctly through your VF only concentrate on luminance change, when it changes you are done.
To calibrate correctly your monitor/Tv feed your monitor/Tv with color bars type2 of your A1 and follow the instructions you can get at www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm
This is the way I would recommend too. When the camera displays are set up this way they give a fairly representative image in the field. But also note that for good exposure you must take care of the zebras as well.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders