OIS and Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 24th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

OIS and Tripod

I have always known best to turn off OIS when the camera is mounted on tripod. I can see panning with tripod might cause problem with OIS is on. Other than that, is there any particular reason that it is advisable to turn off OIS when the camera is on tripod?

I use my A1 all the time on tripod. Since there is no quick button to turn on and off OIS, I am going to leave it on all the time. Zoom in 20x causes a lot of shaky shots without OIS on.

What's your thought?
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Zooming will cause the same problem as panning... a "bump" in the image at the end of the zoom, just like the end of a pan if OIS is on. However if your image is already shaking for whatever reason, then you may not see that effect. Only when the camera is absolutely stable is the this problem noticeable.

I believe the best way to run the camera is without touching it, that's why I always use a hard-wired remote lens controller connected by LANC when shooting video on a tripod. That's the best way to do a slow zoom without any shaking or other disturbances caused by having your hands on the camera. If you dial in a slow zoom with a remote lens controller, then the slower the zoom, the more pronounced is the OIS bump in the image that comes at the end. That's the primary reason for leaving OIS off when zooming or panning from a tripod.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the explanation. Well, I always have the remote control thru LANC. I never noticed a "bump" during zooming. it sucks I can't turn on and off OIS during recording. I have to stop recording before accessing the menu. What was Canon thinking :(
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The OIS is to compensate movement of the *camera*.
You can never use the OIS to "freeze" or "stabelize" the motif, like a bird. Now, that would have been some gadget from Canon...

Unless you recording 10 feet from a railway station a tripod would give you rock solid images.

Remote control is always good, even pan/tilt-heads. Unless you use the high-pro tripod heads you always get a bump moving the camera, and not even with these are you guarenteed a bump-free movement.

Some post software have "de-shakers" functions - never used them, don't know if they are good.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you apply those anti-shake filters in post, it further reduces the resolution. It acts as Electronic IS which is worst than OIS. I guess the footage has been shot, that will be the only to compensate shakiness using those anit-shake software.
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #6
Major Player

My Canon IS lenses for my 1D Mark III camera will over compinsate when on a tripod if IS is on. They do have an IS 2 that allows for panning but if used in normal IS mode on a tripod I often see some blur.

I believe it is the same with the Cam.
Denny Kyser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders