Ultmately dumb question: What is 24f for? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #31
Wrangler

While it is obviously possible to shoot with a 1/24 shutter, it will create a motion blur that has to be evaluated to decide whether it is a worthwhile tradeoff for the extra stop. I've done it myself and sometimes regretted it when I see the results. Certain scenes in "Apocalypto" were shot this way and a sharp eye can discern the difference. If one is truly hoping to emulate the film look, it's best to avoid as the resulting motion blur is a detriment.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Indeed, that is why the default 24p shutter speed on the Canon XH G1 and A1 is 1/48th.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Indeed, that is why the default 24p shutter speed on the Canon XH G1 and A1 is 1/48th.
Chris, it's 1/25th on my V1E, and - if I remember correcly - it also was 1/25th on the Canon I tested. This is basically like switching the shutter off (shutter=fps; just a single full exposition per frame), and we discussed it in the new EX camera forum.

So, I guess both Canon and Sony meant exactly what I have said.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Chris, it's 1/25th on my V1E, and - if I remember correcly - it also was 1/25th on the Canon I tested.
Sorry, but this is one difference between 24p and 25p on Canon camcorders. While it's true that the default 25p shutter speed is 1/25th, it is in fact a different story in 24p. For both the Canon XL and XH camcorders, the default 24p shutter speed is indeed 1/48th.

Quote:
So, I guess both Canon and Sony meant exactly what I have said.
No, I guess they did not, at least as far as 24p is concerned. See the posts from Greg Boston and Charles Papert above. Hope this helps,

Old August 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Fair enough - I never had an opportunity to lay hands on an NTSC machine. From what you're saying, the EX will probably default to 1/48th with shutter off in the 1080/24p or 720/24p modes.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #36
Trustee

The 1/25s default on PAL cams has to be a mistake on Canon's part. Most footage with any significant motion shot at 1/25s has far too much motion blur. It should be a special effect setting, not the default (my opinion, of course).

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Thankfully the default shutter speed is easily changeable; as far as Canon camcorders are concerned, it's an annoyance only in the XL series. In the EVF there's a small red warning LED that shines anytime the shutter speed is out of default, and there's no way to turn it off. It's just something you have to learn to ignore.

Old August 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
The 1/25s default on PAL cams has to be a mistake on Canon's part. Most footage with any significant motion shot at 1/25s has far too much motion blur. It should be a special effect setting, not the default (my opinion, of course).

Richard
Respectfully, let me disagree - while it's way too slow in 50i and causes "special effect" blur indeed, in 25p (provided the subject is reasonably stationary, or you only pan following your (focussed) main subject), it can give very nice picture with that a bit 'dreamy' feeling about it... As stated before, I only use it in dim surroundings and with not too much movement.
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen View Post
You serious? The difference is huge!
Can you post any clips showing the huge difference?
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #40
Wrangler

Quote:
Fair enough - I never had an opportunity to lay hands on an NTSC machine. From what you're saying, the EX will probably default to 1/48th with shutter off in the 1080/24p or 720/24p modes.
It may or may not. Canon chose to make the 1/48th a default because they knew that the users shooting in 24 wanted to achieve a film look with the correct motion blur.

However, if the EX provides a shutter on/off like the larger cameras, then simply turning on the switch might land you somewhere else (my F350 tends to remember your last shutter speed used). Anytime I use 23.98 on the F350, I have to manually check and adjust, if necessary to get 1/48th shutter when the switch is turned on.

I certainly can understand you wanting to use 1/25, or full frame shutter rate in low light. It's an aesthetic choice you make to avoid gain or having the iris wide open. But you have to know going in that motion blur is going to be a problem and movement within frame must be kept to a minimum. I just love the 64 frame accumulation on the F350... it turns night into day but there can be no movement. Works good for time lapses though.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Greg, slightly OT, but the 350 seems to be a wonderful unit. Perhaps we'll see all that in the 3-5k range in 5 years. I hope. The EX looks interesting. If Canon does not come up with something similar (and better) soon they might loose customers to Sony... if priced right and quality, naturally.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Respectfully, let me disagree - while it's way too slow in 50i and causes "special effect" blur indeed, in 25p (provided the subject is reasonably stationary, or you only pan following your (focussed) main subject), it can give very nice picture with that a bit 'dreamy' feeling about it... As stated before, I only use it in dim surroundings and with not too much movement.
Hi Piotr. OK, we can disagree, no problem. Of course you can use 1/25s in the circumstances you describe, I'm just very surprised anyone would want this as their default setting.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Hi Piotr. OK, we can disagree, no problem. Of course you can use 1/25s in the circumstances you describe, I'm just very surprised anyone would want this as their default setting.

Richard
But again, suppose it has been Canon's mistake - but why did Sony do the same with the V1E? It also defaults to 1/25th with the PAL model; does it to 1/30th with NTSC? AND to 1/48th for 24p? (I'm asking, cause I can't check it on my own).
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #44
Regular Crew

quick question: am I correct in assuming that that 25f is better in low light than 50i?
I read here that someone used 24f for a wedding in a dark church since that gave better results than 30f or 60i?
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Naus View Post
quick question: am I correct in assuming that that 25f is better in low light than 50i?
I read here that someone used 24f for a wedding in a dark church since that gave better results than 30f or 60i?
Yes, you are. The 1/25th shutter can be used with 25p with only some motion blur, while at 50i the slowest shutter (without introducing unnatural motion blur) is 1/50th, which translates to one full stop exposure difference.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders