DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Settings consensus when cutting XH-A1 & HV20 together (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/102517-settings-consensus-when-cutting-xh-a1-hv20-together.html)

Graham Budd August 30th, 2007 05:51 PM

Settings consensus when cutting XH-A1 & HV20 together

I realise there are a number of posts discussing using the HV20 as a deck and B roll for the XH-A1.

My question is, as of today, is there a consensus emerging as to what settings (including XH-A1 presets) best match those on the HV20.

I have both cameras but have yet to use them together on the same project.

For regular work with the XH-A1 I have settled on not using any custom preset but making any required changes in post (Vegas 7). In this regard would it be appropriate for an event where there is stage lighting to use eg a vivid* preset to dramatise the already artificial colours produced by the stage lighting?

The event is a school play and I have read the various threads suggested by Boyd Ostroff (and others) but would be keen to hear experiences with the above cameras & the settings used or suggestions from those experiences.

Presently I plan to shoot as follows (in am in PAL land):-

Positioning: HV20 set wide & high as possible (back probably in the centre of the house) with the XH-A1 capturing closer shots, positioned well back but to one side.
White balance: both set to tungsten preset (3200) (may be difficult to manually white balance).
Shutter: 50
Frame rate: XH-A1 25F, HV20 25P
Exposure: use 70 zebras on both cameras to only just show on a face in central position on the stage & lock exposure for duration on both.
Gain: on XH-A1 0 (HV20: no manual gain avail)
Preset: XH-A1 – CP=OFF* HV20 – (Image Effect – neutral*)
Focus: Manual on both (will have a 7” LCD to assist on HV20)
Optical stabilizer: OFF on both
Sound: hopefully a feed (XLR) from sound board or alternately use a ME66/K6 shotgun attached to Sennheiser G2 radio mike (possibly suspended above the stage pointing down) together with a backup mini-disc with small Sony stereo mic (ECM-MS907), positioned at the front of the stage.

Any suggestions or criticisms would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Bill Pryor August 30th, 2007 07:49 PM

For what you're doing that sounds like a good plan, because it's reasonable to assume that most of the footage you use would be the close and medium shots as you follow the action with the XH A1, and you'd cut away to the wide shot when needed but not too often.

I have intercut a 1/3" chip camera with a 2/3" chip camera before (DSR250 and DSR500). I did it the opposite of what you're doing, using the 500 for the wide shot, and I followed action with the 250. The 250 looks great on closeups and medium shots, but it gets significantly softer on wide shots than the bigger chip camera. However, I don't think it's a good idea for you to do it this way with the HV20, because you don't have the control you do with the XH A1. The fact that it has only auto gain would be a problem, I think. So your plan is the best, in my opinion.

Ger Griffin September 1st, 2007 05:24 PM

i agree Bill, It sems well thought out.
I got my hv20 on thuarsday to back my A1 up.
Worked 2 weddings since and thankfully didn't need it.
However I've been thinking about incorporating it into every job
so Id be very interested to know how you get on Graham.