I Lost My Xh A1 Lens Cap at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 4th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #1
New Boot

I Lost My Xh A1 Lens Cap

does anyone know which canon lens cap is the appropriate replacement for the xh a1 if you lost the one it came with? and where to find one cheap? haven't tried that hard to find one but this place usually gets results.

does anyone have one in the uk as that would be even better?

cheers, Giles
Giles Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Call Canon Service Center (or similar).
I'd guess about 20 GBP or so.
Mats Frendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #3
New Boot

i think just any no name 72mm snapcap should work...

find in any better foto-store...

regards - dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ripley View Post
does anyone know which canon lens cap is the appropriate replacement for the xh a1 if you lost the one it came with? and where to find one cheap? haven't tried that hard to find one but this place usually gets results.

cheers, Giles
Dominik Gehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Since I too tend to lose lens caps, I purchased a couple of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Lens_Cap.html

I actually like it better than the one Canon supplied with the A1.
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I put a cap keeper on my lens cap. The drawback to that was that now the cap hung loose and got tangled and banged into things (noise). I fixed that by putting a little chunk of velcro on the cap and on the outside of the A1's hand grip. Now I can take the cap off and "stick it somewhere". If the velcro fails, the cap still hangs by the elastic cord.
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
New Boot

thanks guys, sterling advice. should be sorted in no time - no more cling-film!
Giles Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Johnstone View Post
Since I too tend to lose lens caps, I purchased a couple of these:

Canon - 72mm Snap-On Lens Cap - 2728A002 - B&H Photo Video

I actually like it better than the one Canon supplied with the A1.
This is not available any more ...any other suggestions? Also 72mm is the correct size with the XHA1 lens hood attached, right?

Thanks very much,
Randy
BTW, I don't see anything in the manual regarding the "external control mode" selection but is it safe to assume that is just for a lanc controller?

Last edited by G. Randy Brown; July 7th, 2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add text
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi, GRB.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Randy Brown View Post
BTW, I don't see anything in the manual regarding the "external control mode" selection but is it safe to assume that is just for a lanc controller?
A bit "off piste" for this thread, but I assume you're talking about "Digital Video Control" (page 70 of the original PAL XH A1 manual).

The Lanc has no user settings whatsoever.

DVC requires that [DV CONTROL] in [SYSTEM SETUP] is set to [ON] on the master system. The "slave" must be set to [DV CONTROL] = [OFF]

Once enabled, it allows the camera to control the function of another compatible HDV/ DV device that is connected via Firewire.

Amongst other things, it gives the ability to have a tape recording at all times, even if one camera needs a tape change.

Cool, if about as useful as an ash tray on a motorcycle (IMHO).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Assuming "off piste" means off topic... sorry but I thought it would be a quick BTW question with a simple yes answer but now I'm confused.
Okay, Digital Video Control is covered on pg 74 of the NTSC manual and is not what I'm talking about (however I found this feature quite handy when I used to do 2 cam shoots with my old XL1S' ).
Lanc controller would be used for a wired remote to zoom/focus....you probably already know that but I guess to get to the point, my question would be,what is the "ext cont" selection for on the power wheel (next to VCR/play).
Thanks,
Randy
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ripley View Post

cheers, Giles
Most large camera shops have an odds box with lens caps etc. Phone around at off peak times.

Cheers.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Allan, I googled around and B & H has some that'll work.
Thanks again,
Randy
Old July 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Ext Cont..............

On the Power dial is shown on page 11 of the later Canon XH G1s / XH A1s manual.

It's annotated "Reserved mode for future software developement", which I guess is another way of saying it does squat (at this point in time and firmware level).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #13
Major Player

any 72mm generic lens cap should work fine; i use a nikon lens cap and a nikon knockoff interchangeably; i prefer the inner pinch ring. i think i paid $3 for it.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Be nice if Canon had included a built in flip up lens cover like they do with their HV20-30-40 series. Cheers.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Trustee

One of the first things I did when I got my XL2 several years ago was to put a piece of velcro on the outside face of my lens cap, with the corresponding piece on the top of my lens hood. So when I remove the cap, I can just stick it to the top of the hood where it is ready when I need it. It doesn't get lost that way, and doesn't bang around making noise if hanging by a string, as is common with consumer models.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders