Is downconversion not an official feature? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #16
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Spinler View Post
I just called B&H to purchase an XH-A1. But the individual told me there is no downconversion feature in the camera. He said the v1u does this but the Canon does not. I have to either record SD or HD. I could of course downconvert in the computer he told me.

Confused by what I'm reading here vs what B&H said, I called Canon and they told me no such feature exists as well. Am I missing something? Anyone have this experience? I looked through other threads with no luck.
I am sorry for the inaccuracy. We make serious efforts to make sure all our sales associates are familiar with every product in the genres they're responsible for selling, but we do rely on info from manufacturers as well as in-person product training. I apologize for the inaccuracy.
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #17
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
One basic rule of dealing with audiovisual equipment salesmen: Never believe a word they say. I've been lied to by more than one local pro dealer in this area. (Although, as I said earlier, I've been very favorably impressed by Zotz and Tapeworks Texas.) When somebody pushes one brand over another and you find out there's some innacuracy there...keep in mind that there may be different commission structures in the company, ie., he may get a better commission for selling a Sony camera. As they used to say on "X-Files"...Trust No One.
Speaking only for B&H -- our sales associates are NOT paid by commission at all. We prefer a sales associate recommend items best suited for the customer, not for the sales associate's pay envelope. In this case, a sales associate made an honest error, which we regret, but no one here lied, or lies.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Posner View Post
I am sorry for the inaccuracy. We make serious efforts to make sure all our sales associates are familiar with every product in the genres they're responsible for selling, but we do rely on info from manufacturers as well as in-person product training. I apologize for the inaccuracy.
Henry - thanks for taking the time to apologize. I wasn't expecting a full blown apology. No problem - I've received great advice and help from B&H in the past and that's why I ended up purchasing it from your store anyway. It's hard to expect B&H to answer a question differently than the manufacturer answered it. Canon told me the same thing. I make mistakes too.

I appreciated receiving a follow up call from B&H today just to let me know everything was in stock and I would have it Friday. I'll be purchasing from B&H again in the future.
Ben Spinler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Ben--congrats! You'll love it.

First thing: Set it up on a tripod, make a pot of coffee (or open a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi, or whatever your thing is, booze is not a good idea at this point), and spend some quality time with the manual. I found it nice to have the downloaded version on my iBook...don't need a free hand to keep it open.
Bogdan and Bill - thanks for the heads up on the owner's manual and the OIS - I suppose the manual will join Car & Driver and the latest B&H catalog in the bathroom. Is this camera much more complex than the Xl2?
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #20
Trustee

I have received excellent advice from B&H several times, in a couple of them advice that actually saved me money. They have been very good pointing me to preferred products, telling me why, and pointing out things I may not have been aware of.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #21
New Boot

Got my XH-A1 tonight - had a family gathering so I couldn't play with it - I might do some shooting tomorrow. I could smell that new car smell when I opened it - intoxicating.

Last edited by Ben Spinler; September 7th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hello Ben,

one question, could you record in HDV with your camera and then capture with firewire in SD (720X480) with Premiere Pro 2?

thanks
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #23
New Boot

Manuel,

I had problems on every level getting downconversion done with PP2. First I couldn't get the incamera downconversion to work (and still can't - the feature stays grayed out no matter what I do) and then I decided to try to capture HDV and got sound but no video.

After reading some obscure forum post I found someone who found that if they reset the in-camera settings while hooked to PP2 it made things start recording. Sure enough it worked for me then to record HDV - I had to do the downconversion with PP2 in the computer - it wasn't the best. I think I've heard somewhere around here there is a downconversion utility - I don't know what it's called though.

I've gone to using DV 16:9 with the A1 alot since I use it in conjunction with my XL2. I'm hoping the upgrades to CS3 make a difference when I can afford it.

Not sure if I answered your question or not.
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #24
Major Player

Ben, I don't know if you've done this already because you don't mention anything in the "I've tried everything" statement... but what you have to do for the downconvert to work is disconnect the firewire cable from the A1, then in the menu select downconversion - ON, letterboxed - ON (if you want that), & then reconnect the firewire cable to the A1.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #25
New Boot

Thanks Bill - I think I did that. Does the camera need to stay on in this process? I always shut it off before unplugging the firewire for fear of frying the firewire port. I read somewhere this was good practice. Is this so?

thanks again for the advice.
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #26
Major Player

I believe it has to stay powered. I can't fully recall but I think I remember when I 1st tried several attempts, I was turning it off before disconnecting & I THINK it didn't hold the settings. I could be wrong though. Try is & see. If you come to the conclusion it needs to stay powered, then just be carefull when re-connecting & say a prayer before so :)

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #27
Major Player

Hello Ben,

I'm from Fergus Falls, MN....a bit of a distance from you. I just ordered my A-1.

Perhaps we could meet and chat sometime?

Regards,

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #28
New Boot

Bill thanks for the tip - I'm nervous to give that try - but it may be worth it. I was always shutting it down.

Roger - nice to see a fellow Minnesota resident on the forum. I'd be glad to meet. Send me an email sometime. Congratulations on the A1!
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #29
Regular Crew

downconvert from camera to camera?

I shot some footage on miniDV in my a1 in HD but I want to transfer it to a SD miniDV. Can I accomplish this with my a1 and hv20? And if yes, how so?
Andre Tira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I never did it myself, but it should work if you connect 2 cameras with a firewire cable and set the A1 in VCR mode with downconversion on and the other DV camera at VCR as well, one play and one record.....
Juni Zhao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders