mic & line at the same time? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Major Player

mic & line at the same time?

hey guys,
this is an audio related question but i reckon yourselves may be a better shot since its related to the A1 also.

I have the rode videomic (mini jack)

I also want to be able to bring a line in feed into the cam.

so I got a mini-1/4 converter and 1/4 to xlr (for the videomic) into xlr input 1
I brought a line-out phono into an xlr adaptor (from a stereo) into xlr input 2

so the line in from the stereo works (on channel 2) and the videomic doesnt (channel 1). i tried fooling around with all the little switches (of which im not quite sure of) and still no videomic.

Now im wondering can a mic source and a line source be brought into each of the 2 seperate channels? and if so why doesnt this work?

do i need to purchase a mic with an xlr cable built in?

any help would be much appreciated as im trying to get this sorted for the weekend.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
Now im wondering can a mic source and a line source be brought into each of the 2 seperate channels? and if so why doesnt this work?
No. It doesn't work because the XH A1 doesn't have that feature.

Quote:
do i need to purchase a mic with an xlr cable built in?
No. The best quality will come from amping the mic signal to line with a good mixer ($400+) . A cheaper option is to use a 40 dB attenuator, which runs around $30.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Daniel,
does the 40 db attenuator cut down on the line signal to match it to a mic level? in which case i'd set the mic/line switch on the A1 to mic?

and what is it , a connector of some kind?
thanks for the help
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes and yes.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Wrangler

The line output level from a consumer stereo is around -10 dBV, and typically relatively high impedance (often 10K ohms or higher).

On the other hand, mixers often have a mic level output option that should work with the Videomic.

The output of the Videomic is probably around -40 dBV, and relatively low impedance.

The connection you describe should have resulted in a very soft recording levels from the video mic. If there was no sound what so ever, smething is wrong with the adapter scheme you used.

Using a 30 dB inline attenuator should work to bring the stereo output in line with the output level of the Videomic.

At one time Radio Shack offered a cable with built-in attenuators for this sort of application. (Not sure they still have them.)

The Shure A15AS or A15LA are adapters that provide attenuation and may work in your application. They can be found for under US$40.
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Don,
Its actually the audio of an A/V transmitter/receiver i want to use alongside the videomic.

just looking here at the specs and it says the recievers audio output level is-

1(the symbol in these brackets are and a + on top of a -)0. 2V p-p@600ohm (stereo)

i got no level at all from the videomic but checked the setup later and it works alright when the line isnt going into channel 2 on the A1

I have a couple of lads trying to set me up with a 40db attenuator at the moment and it should be ready tommorow.
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Major Player

on the sennheiser g2 I can feed the transmitter a line level signal and then set sensitivity to -30db and get a mic level signal to the receiver.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Fred Retread

Quote:
Don,
i got no level at all from the videomic but checked the setup later and it works alright when the line isnt going into channel 2 on the A1
Although it is counter-intuitive, when the channel selector switch is set to "CH1-CH2" the CH2 input is turned off and the CH1 input signal goes to both channels. But when the channel selector switch is set to "CH1" then both inputs are turned on, and the CH1 signal goes to channel 1 while the CH2 signal goes to channel two.

And it is a shame that the XLR inputs cannot be independently set to mic or line level on a pro cam. I don't know what they were thinking.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ennis View Post
And it is a shame that the XLR inputs cannot be independently set to mic or line level on a pro cam. I don't know what they were thinking.
I agree. It's one of my main gripes.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Contributor

It's a bit of an irritant. There are times I want a line in from a mic, but would like the camera mic running too to pick up ambient sound. What I have to do is add a cable from the camera-mounted mic down to the mixer and then back to the camera. This is fairly rare, however.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #11
Wrangler

[Quite] ... audio of an A/V transmitter/receiver ... [/Quote]

What make/model? As implied above, some wireless receivers (but not all) allow adjustment of output level.

Also, David's note regarding the setting of the CH1-CH2 switch on the XLR jack module may solve the problem of hearing the Videomic.
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #12
Contributor

Speaking of wireless...lots of people are using the Sennheiser G2 these days, myself included. It's easy to get lousy sound out of that package, but if you learn to set it properly, it's the best wireless around for the money, I think. This tutorial will solve all your problems:

dvcreators.net/products/sennheiser_wireless_movieframe.htm
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #13
Major Player

im just trying out this 2.4 ghz a/V transmitter.

I connect the transmitter to any audio out (via a few adapters usually) and recieve the audio only. It works a treat in the test i did. apparently it operates at a far higher frequency than all the rf signals so a good clean digital signal can be achieved.

heres the best bit, it costs €65 euro. its tiny too. 7.5 volts so the guys are setting me up with a way to power it by batt. the reciever velcros to the cam very easily.

Its designed for home use, selling as a way to send your dvd signal to another tv without any cables, but it could be just what we need.

if i could just get a way to mix the ext mic with it and remain mobile.

Ill have to check the model number, its from nikkai anyway but theres lots of them being made in recent times. This one is particulary small and powered by low voltage. will post model number tomorrow when i can get it.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Something like this: http://www.frontendaudio.com/Product...oductCode=7178
would help.
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #15
Wrangler

FWIW: Most (but not all) audio gear sold for home/consumer use is medium/high impedance, intended for use with devices with an input impedance of 10K ohms or higher. The info should be contained in the specification, if they are published for your gear. The output level and impedance characteristics of the gear would drive any recommended solution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders