DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   xh a1 setup pictures (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/102949-xh-a1-setup-pictures.html)

Trent Humphrey September 5th, 2007 09:26 PM

xh a1 setup pictures

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would start a thread....I looked for previous threads but didnt see any. Anyway I am a new user to the xh a1 as many of us here are so post your xh a1 and show your setup. Ill start it. Thanks to everyone who supports this part of the forum.

Trent

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1268/...2705ce28_b.jpg

mind my ignorance on how to attach pictures. :)

Chris Hurd September 5th, 2007 10:16 PM

I attached it for you Trent,

Sean Paterson September 6th, 2007 01:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Good Idea Trent, heres mine...

Jack Walker September 6th, 2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent Humphrey (Post 739964)

What is the lens shade you have? I haven't seen that before as far I know. Thanks!

Trent Humphrey September 6th, 2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 740305)
What is the lens shade you have? I haven't seen that before as far I know. Thanks!

that is from www.cinetactics.com , go there and look at the dv mattlebox. It is made for dv cameras but is suggested for the xha1 over their hd mattlebox. Plus the hd is larger and more expensive. It only barely vignettes at full wide, like a wide angle lens ....but you barely have to zoom in a little to get rid of it, not a problem at all...works great. Plus it might be the fact that I have a UV filter on for protection then the extension ring from cinetactics to mount the soft matte box to. Its a really nice product and great because its soft and easy to transport and setup quickly. I have had it on since I got it unless I need a ton of light.

Doug Davis September 6th, 2007 01:43 PM

What shotgun mics are you guys using?

Trent Humphrey September 6th, 2007 02:23 PM

audio technica 897 or more refered to as at897. I use it with the lightwave mini mount that connects to my hotshoe. The mount on the xh a1 gives noise when you zoom so I dont like it much. Most likely will remove it before I break it on accident. The shotgun is a very good mic for the price. I would highly recomend it.

Stephen Sobel September 6th, 2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent Humphrey (Post 740424)
audio technica 897 or more refered to as at897. I use it with the lightwave mini mount that connects to my hotshoe. The mount on the xh a1 gives noise when you zoom so I dont like it much. Most likely will remove it before I break it on accident. The shotgun is a very good mic for the price. I would highly recomend it.

If I used a Rode SM-5 shockmount to attach a shotgun to the mic mount, do you think the mic would pick up noise when zooming?

Trent Humphrey September 6th, 2007 08:48 PM

hmm im not sure...it should get rid of it. I think you would be fine. Test it and let us know. Also post your setups people!!!

Sean Paterson September 7th, 2007 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Davis (Post 740397)
What shotgun mics are you guys using?

I use Rode VideoMic, detached the rode hotshoe setup and clamped straight onto the XHA1.
Not worried about zoom motor noise, I dont zoom in and out or mess about with the camera setup while filming static shots or interviews etc.

Winfried Dobbe September 7th, 2007 06:07 AM

I use the Rode SM-5 shock mount, it removed any zoom noise and more important, sounds of my hand touching the camera. That's with the Rode NTG-2.

Josh Chesarek September 7th, 2007 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my setups when I was going out to film later at night. Ill have to post one from tonight of when I am streaming a soccer game which is pretty fun.

Shiv Kumar September 8th, 2007 01:44 AM

It would be nice if you guys mentioned at the other gizmos visible in your photos and whys, so us newbees can understand.

I for one use just the camera, along with an Audio-Technica AT831B Lavaliere Condenser Microphone when I need audio.

Glen Johnstone September 13th, 2007 06:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I soldered up this right angle-right angle cable to make my life easier. I no longer need to disconnect the shotgun mic (ME66/Windcutter) to put the cam in the bag. It saves wear and tear on the CH-1 XLR connector as well.

Phil Anderson September 17th, 2007 03:03 PM

Does the Cinetactics Matteblox block out the auto focus assist sensor on the A1? Looks like it would.

Giuseppe Palumbo September 17th, 2007 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of my new Canon Xh-A1, articulated arm, and spiderbrace. I also have a mattebox in the mail :) Def a step up from the XL2.

, and no im not going to be using that monitor. Im looking into getting a better one

http://www.nbfilms.us/Pictures/xha1.jpg

http://www.nbfilms.us/Pictures/xha12.jpg

Steven Dempsey September 18th, 2007 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is me with an early prototype of the XHA1. I had to dress up like Santa as part of the deal. I'll explain later.

Rolf Seitz September 18th, 2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 745939)
This is me with an early prototype of the XHA1. I had to dress up like Santa as part of the deal. I'll explain later.

early prototype....indeed! How many fps could it record? ;)

Steven Dempsey September 18th, 2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolf Seitz (Post 745973)
early prototype....indeed! How many fps could it record? ;)

175fps but the rubber band snapped...hence the completely different design of the finished product :)

Marcus Schuler September 20th, 2007 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my A1 with my brand new head and tripod system from Panther Broadcast in Munich.

The head is a T6 fluid head with two steps. Great and solid product. Everything was made in Germany.

Bill Pryor September 20th, 2007 04:09 PM

Hey, Steven, where'd you get that shot of me and my Linhoff?

Chris Hurd September 20th, 2007 04:10 PM

I thought there was a resemblance Bill.

Bill Pryor September 20th, 2007 09:56 PM

Well, it's close, but my view camera is a Calumet with Schneider lenses, and the "snapshot" 4X5 isn't a Linhoff--it's an ancient Crown Graphic, and no I didn't buy it new--I'm not THAT old. I did buy the Calumet and lenses new, however.

Greg Rothschild October 16th, 2007 10:14 AM

Marcus-
Can you please comment on the quality of the Panther head? I'm looking for a fluid head right now and just came across this new product line. I'd be grateful for any feedback you can provide.
Greg

Paul Podraza May 3rd, 2008 09:12 AM

Resurrecting the thread...

I was looking for pics of setups, it's interesting to see the mods to the cam.

I just received my XH-A1 and was looking for more "inspiration" for a great setup!

I saw this pic for modding the headphone jack...
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...4&postcount=14

Jeff Mayne May 3rd, 2008 10:03 AM

Here are some shots of mine utilizing the J-Rod,

Hubert Duijzer May 3rd, 2008 03:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's mine:
XH-A1 with Rode NTG-2/Rode SM-5 shockmount(removed 'thin end')/custom made XLR cable with 2 right angled plugs/'windcutter' fur over internal mic/Sony eyecup/WD-H72 wide angle lens/10 mm drilled hole for headphone/Manfrotto 351MVB/503 tripod and Porta Brace raincover.
Sorry for crappy cellphone pictures.

Jeff Mayne May 3rd, 2008 05:42 PM

Hubert, you are the answer to my prayers. I have been looking for a rain cover that would fit with my Rhode Shock Mount setup just like yours. I am assuming that the Porta Brace rain slicker fits with the shock mount still attached? Thanks a bunch,
Jeff

Josh Chesarek May 3rd, 2008 06:10 PM

It doesn't look like at least the mic is loaded up for the rain cover shot.

Steve Lewis May 4th, 2008 01:32 AM

What tripod model is that?

Josh Chesarek May 4th, 2008 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lewis (Post 871775)

If you are refering to Huberts tripod, "Manfrotto 351MVB/503 tripod"

Jeff Mayne May 4th, 2008 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lewis (Post 871775)

Manfrotto 351MVB/503 tripod

Rene Roslev May 4th, 2008 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
XH-A1, SGpro.R3, Contax/Yashica Zeiss lenses, Cavision grips

Henrik Reach May 4th, 2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel (Post 740540)
If I used a Rode SM-5 shockmount to attach a shotgun to the mic mount, do you think the mic would pick up noise when zooming?

I use the SM-3 and a NTG-2, and it does in fact pick up a little zoom-noise, but only when I zoom at high speeds.

Hubert Duijzer May 4th, 2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne (Post 871681)
I have been looking for a rain cover that would fit with my Rhode Shock Mount setup just like yours. I am assuming that the Porta Brace rain slicker fits with the shock mount still attached?

No, i haven't test it yet, but i don't believe both the shockmount and the mic will fit in the rainslicker. The shotgun itself will fit, but even that isn't easy. The Porta rainslicker is a really thight fit in places, wich is good for keeping the rain out, but sometimes a pain to get it around the camera.

Bo Sundvall May 5th, 2008 02:48 AM

Hi

Hubert, is it a 351MVB or 351MVB2 tripod? Do you find it stabil enough?

Regards,

/Bo

Hubert Duijzer May 5th, 2008 03:18 AM

Bo, it's the MVB2. It's heavy and stable. The head is another thing, not bad, but i expected it to be better.
Next time i have to double the budget for a Vinten Vision 3 or something like that.

Jonathan Shaw May 5th, 2008 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to add a little diversity... here's my A1 in Gates housing

Giovanni Speranza May 5th, 2008 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very cool the Gates Housing!

Here is mine (with Letus Extreme, IndiSlider, IndiFocus)

Michael Wisniewski May 6th, 2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw (Post 872565)
Just to add a little diversity... here's my A1 in Gates housing

That's awesome, looks like a crazy sea critter. Or some weird camcorder hermit crab.