anyone know whats the diff between shutter25 and the 25f mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 7th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #1
New Boot

anyone know whats the diff between shutter25 and the 25f mode?

(or 24, 24f in NTSC land) except the fact that you can switch the shutter speed of course in the 25fmode? looks like they loose same mount of resolution compared to 1080i. (noticable in fine diagonals in wideangle, or red objects)

regards - dom
Dominik Gehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Dom. Not sure why you are seeing these as giving similar results, cos they refer to quite different features.

25f is the A1's equivalent of progressive scan. Because the CCDs are not true progressive, there is a slight loss of vertical resolution compared with 50i mode, but most people can't see this unless specifically testing for it. How are you viewing the video - is it direct from the cam, or via an NLE? If NLE, check your project settings in case the clips are somehow getting deinterlaced unnecessarily.

1/25s is the shutter speed, which is actually the amount of time the CCDs collect light before the A/D conversion is carried out. 1/25s is a bit slow for normal shooting, and I would recommend you use 1/50s instead. I'm surprised you see a loss of resolution with 1/25s, I'd expect motion blur rather than that. Maybe you could post some sample frame grabs?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Contributor

Some cameras lose resolution at slower shutter speeds. I've never shot with anything on the Canon other than the standard speed, which for 25F is 1/50, and 1/48 for 24F.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders