Shifting White Balance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Shifting White Balance?

So, I love my Canon XH-A1, but I was doing some test footage, and noticed that, even though everything is set to manual, the white balance was shifting itself. Florescent light was hitting a cream colored wall, and the shade kept shifting from green to blue. Ideas as to what the problem is?
Brandon Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Is it consistent, or does it do this only sporadically? Mine does something similar, mostly noticable under tungsten lighting.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Check this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...09&postcount=9

It may help.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Freeman View Post
So, I love my Canon XH-A1, but I was doing some test footage, and noticed that, even though everything is set to manual, the white balance was shifting itself. Florescent light was hitting a cream colored wall, and the shade kept shifting from green to blue. Ideas as to what the problem is?
You have to have a shutter speed or frame rate that is equal to, or an even multiple of the frequency of the power line. Otherwise, your camera scan occurs at different points in the power waveform where the light at that instant is a different color temperature.

It's a pretty well documented issue that trips up a lot of folks the first time they run into that situation.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Interesting. I was at 60i...ah, and now that I think about it had the shutter speed at 1/180 as I was showing my wife how to do slow motion with a high shutter speed. She was the one who first noticed the color shifting on the monitor, and hadn't noticed it until I amped up the shutter speed. (We weren't filming, just doing a live out and switching around to different camera modes).

Fascinating...
Brandon Freeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders