FirmWare Upgrade 1.0.1.0 for PAL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Inner Circle

FirmWare Upgrade 1.0.1.0 for PAL

For those who won't pick this up from my other post, just an anouncement to let PAL A1/ G1 owners know that there is a firmware upgrade available for these cameras.

Despite having it on board, I cannot say for sure exactly what issues it addresses as that information has yet to be forthcoming from Canon. The issue I hoped it would address is still up in the air.

More details as and when I have them.

CS

PS. Silly me, the issue I had hoped this would fix is discussed here:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=100837

Last edited by Chris Soucy; September 10th, 2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Yet another SM.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what you mean. That's why I ask:

Did you buy the camera with the new firmware allready in it?

Yesterday I was google'ing around about the A1 firmware and found nothing sofar.

I'm also curious how I can check the firmware of the A1. Do you know how to do that? And if there is a new firmware, do we have to go to a service point of Canon or is it possible to upgrade it by the SD card?

Many question...and hoping to find some answers.

Groeten,

Gert
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

More news ...........

Just received from Canon NZ. This update addresses the following issues:

". Fixed the Lanc remote control malfunctions.

. Fixed the malfunction in which some functions do not work with non - Canon Lanc remote controls."

There you have it in a nutshell. What does the first one mean? Blowed if I know. Reckon the second will please a few bods round the traps.

OK, to answer the Q Gert, my A1 was purchased December '06 here in NZ and came with FW 1.0.0.0 installed. After I found an issue with focusing with the ZR1000 Lanc I notified Canon NZ who spoke to Canon Australia who said "try this new firmware".

As it was a fix attempt, it was gratis (except for the shipping cost to Auckland) and I'm more or less field testing it for Canon NZ. The results so far are not promising.

No, it's not a SD card fix, which means back to Canon.

I guess (don't quote me on this) that if you are, indeed, having issues with a Lanc, then Canon may well do this for you gratis, tho' I get the impression they are not set up to have shed loads of A1/ G1's turning up every day for this upgrade.

To check the firmware level, switch to "Card", go to VCR mode and check "System Setup".

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I'm not having problems with my Lanc. (I don't have one yet, but I'm curious about technical stuff around the A1)

Last week I upgraded my Canon EOS 400D with the new firmware and that took place via the Compact Flash card. Simply put the file on the card and push update in the menu.

As many devices (like the A1) have firmware built in. That brings the possebility to improve things. For instance: I have a Nokia N73 which did not function right with it's bluetooth interface. After a firmware upgrade from 1.xxx to 4.xxx that solved all the problems.

I'm not the person who's constantly updating firmwares. Sometimes it brings more problems than it solves. And I only can say this: be VERY carefull with doing it yourself if possible.

I asked my questions because I was interested in how to determain the firmware version I have and what the improvements are in the new version.
Normaly there are small issues of small improvements with new firmwares, like your Lanc problem.

I hope you can solve the problem, together with Canon. It is a good lesson for other users.

P.S. My camera has firmware version 1.0.0.0 :-) (also PAL)
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Just before anyone asks.......

I have no idea whether or not this firmware upgrade is relevant to NTSC users.

I cannot believe it isn't, but cannot confirm or deny one way or the other.

If anyone from Canon would care to stick their head over the parapet and comment, it would be appreciated.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders