My first wedding. My first 24f. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Major Player

My first wedding. My first 24f.

Here’s a pro-bono wedding piece I did for some friends in need. This was my second shoot with the A1 and first time using 24f. I was doing a tv segment on this resort and needed models for “romance” b-roll… they were onsite getting married in a private ceremony, so it worked out pretty well.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1184397088
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The video quality of 24F on these cameras is quite nice.

I recently shot a 24F wedding myself. I chose it simply because I was indoors and the lighting in the church was terrible. I informed the bride ahead of time that things may seem a bit "different" about the video due to the frame rate, but I don't think she really noticed. I think everything I told her was way over her head.

By the way...what's with that person para-sailing in the background? You obviously left your triple-a back home.
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Indeed. Talking "shop" with clients is typically only good for blank stares.
The parasailing never ends over there.
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #4
New Boot

Nice, I really like the dining shot. Also, that's a beautiful shot of the water at the end. I was thinking about selling my XL2 so I could move to the XH-A1. This clip as well as some others on these and other forums have pretty much sealed the deal. Now I can't wait to get my hands on one.
David Del Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks David. That's why I posted this. I wanted to show those on the fence what to expect "out of the box" with this cam. Before the A1 I was shooting on an XL1-S, Gl2, and ENG JVC cams. While the A1 and HV20 are my "main" cams, I still use the others and would never sell the XL. A lot of clients still only want 4x3 SD.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Too bad about the parasailing. Looks like a lot of different coloring from shot to shot. Were you on auto white balance? I do like the 24f frame rate.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Major Player

I was setting the color temp manually. The warmer shots were done after the wedding for the b-roll. The "real" ceremony was done on auto, as I was actually operating 2 other cams in addition to the A1! I had their VHS-C cam on a table next to me and their little mpeg cam in my other hand. The property shots were done for the tv segment and the spa was done the next day.

..and, I like the parasailing.
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Did you use a preset of any kind? Looks great btw... : )
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Major Player

On the shots that were clearly staged, I used my own "ever changing" preset..which is really just boosting the overall saturation to taste and using the color temp presets on the top to create more warmth.

I learned from the early shoots with the A1 that its light meter has an agenda of its own.

More recent, I shot this b-roll for a private charter out of Cabo
http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1184395580

All these shots are "over exposed" by one or two stops. I think the exposure is ideal. The Canon WA is also attached here. The front of this boat was pretty tight.
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
Thanks David. That's why I posted this. I wanted to show those on the fence what to expect "out of the box" with this cam. Before the A1 I was shooting on an XL1-S, Gl2, and ENG JVC cams. While the A1 and HV20 are my "main" cams, I still use the others and would never sell the XL. A lot of clients still only want 4x3 SD.
What's your take on the HV20 capabilities.. vs the A1... do you have any raw footage of the camera in action without color correction.

Just curious as I am working on something for a family member..who has a hv20 (of which i have not really seen much raw footage) and not sure of its capibilties.

I'd rather just see if he will be able to sufice with shooting on teh hv20 and then i can assist him with just editing what he needs.

Any help or insight would be great..

Many thanks!
Rick Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Major Player

You can't really compare the two. Is this a pro or personal project?

The HV20 is a great cam for personal use or as second cam. I use it mainly as a deck and use the HDMI out to monitor my A1 footage.

For pro use, it's limited. In decent light, it produces great images than can match up to the A1 but you will not have much control over the image. It also looks like a toy. If a client is paying you a decent amount of money, you'll probably get the stink-eye if you show up with a "stock" HV20.

I can post some HV20 stuff in a day or two, but look around this forum. It's easy to find.

I'm from Suffolk, NY as well. Huntington.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders