First A1 footage posted ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First A1 footage posted ...

I've generated enough courage to post my first video on dvinfo. This is a rough cut of a trailer for a client for a barbershop that recently opened. It was the first opportunity using a few shots with the Brevis and a few shots with the Steadicam Merlin. It has yet to be corrected, but here it is nonetheless.

I figure with so many people generous enough to share their footage and expertise, I might as well share some of my own (footage at least :). I have so much more to learn, but hopefully with more practice and learning, we'll be there soon.

http://philosophicfilms.com/projects...0(640x360).mov

Best regards,

--Brandon
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Major Player

some nice smooth shots with the merlin. I liked the people shots, especially the clients, had a really good feel. I might mix in some people sounds, equipment sounds thru the music to emphasize that 'bustling, active, lively environment'.

The only thing I'd worry about, is the walls looked a little too empty and the space sterile - giving it almost a 'medical clinic feel'. And the shots without people tended to overemphasize the emptiness. Trying to give a feel of bustling and colorful is hard to do of course in a stark environment. Especially with the lab coats. Maybe a few more 'really close' shots of the cutting, some unusual camera angles, but try and keep the space looking full.

The hotel trailer that someone did a few weeks back got captured some unusual angles of things - I was thinking particularily of that buffet serving shot where each cover was revealed in succession and it worked so perfectly.

and as an alternative to fading in text - a spokesperson, one or two of the lead barbers talking about the business, getting across those key messages, some voice over with the shots mixed in with his message.

Even a couple of customers talking about the great service they just received - that woman in the red shirt looked interesting and I'd have loved to know what she was thinking

It might help to punch home the message.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Disjecta

I agree with Trish. Sorry to say that I think the music you chose for the main footage is not appropriate. It felt too "big" for the piece. I was expecting to see astronauts walking through the room on their way to boarding the space shuttle or soldiers returning from war in slow motion. Do you know what I mean? Although I'm not a big fan of "muzak", the piece you used at the end seemed more suitable to the footage.

There's a fine line between emotional impact and cheesiness and I think the music is making the piece fall on the wrong side of the line.

But that's just my opinion. I think the shots are nice and adding some sound would definitely bring the people closer to the audience.
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Tourist

The left-handed shaking scene is a little too obvious of a flip. Agree with the previous posts on music selection. More upbeat would change the entire flavor of the piece.
Marc Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The follow-up

I appreciate you all taking a look at the clip! I'll be sure to take those comments into account for the future. Thankfully, there were some interviews and commentary scenes utilized on the final DVD as separate sequences. The trailer rough cut thankfully did its job of generating interest for the final DVD for the client and demonstrated for at least myself some of the capabilities if something were storyboarded and thoughtfully put together. I'm grateful the client was happy with the overall product. Nonetheless, all of the insights are appreciated!

Any good sources for color correction practices/guidelines and exporting guidelines? I'm primarily using FCS2.

Best regards,

--Brandon
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree on the music being too "uplifting" for this particular purpose. I mean, we *are* just talking about a barbershop here right? :) I think a theme a little more geared toward fun rather than epic would be more appropriate and effective...

With that said, it's nicely done though and I definately think you should be proud of what you've created here.
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Don't mind me asking this but are you using the Brevis adapter ON the Merlin? Won't that exceed the weight limit?

I;m glad you took the effort to put in some movement using the Merlin. I remembered for my final uni project (marketing video for a restaurant), I took the risk of using a jib arm (never used one before). Not entirely smooth, but still it added something that no still shot could replicate .
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Separate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan Ee Jien View Post
Don't mind me asking this but are you using the Brevis adapter ON the Merlin? Won't that exceed the weight limit?
Chan,

It would indeed exceed the 5 lb limit. The shots were done separately. It'll probably be a while until I get to a point of attempting steadicam shots with an adapter. Interestingly, it does raise the point of how time consuming it is to disconnect the A1 from the rod system and then mount it atop the merlin. Perhaps when we get to multiple cameras we'll have one more dedicated to flying.

Best regards,

--Brandon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders