Switching while shooting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Switching while shooting?

I shoot many weddings here in Arizona, I have two A-1's very happy with them. Question; (I guess I will just test it out) but is their any problems with shooting hand held with the Image stabilization on and then mounting same cam. while running, go into the menu and switch it off..Gary
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Contributor

No, that's what you should do--turn off the steady shot if you use a tripod. It would be nice if they had put an on/off switch on one of the programmable buttons, but they didn't and you have to go to the menu to turn it off and on.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This won't interupt anything while you're shooting? Gary
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Major Player

As far as I know, you can't go into the menu while rolling tape to turn OIS on/off. Lame design in my opinion.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Contributor

Oh you mean during a take? No you can't do that. First of all, you can't attach the camera to a tripod while rolling without screwing up the shot anyway, and I doubt you can activate the menu while rolling. I've never tried that. Seems like it would be like trying to text message while driving.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Bill, I usually do a two camera shoot (two A-1's) I have a quick release on my bogan tripod on my camera in question, during editing I just go to my B cam. until mounting is complete. When the camera is on the tripod I would then go into the menu and switch it off..PS I'll have time to try it today, unless you have..Thanks again. Gary
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Contributor

Ah, with 2 cameras, then you're in pretty good shape.
There's no big problem in leaving OIS on on the tripod if you're not making any moves. You do a normal pan or zoom, and it will look crappy. There have been a couple of times I've forgot to turn it off and did a little bit of tripod moving, like following action on a speaker, and it worked OK; but any fast moves will be bad.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders